Roselea back in business ...

Montrose Roselea 3 East Craigie 3

ROSELEA were back on League business last Saturday, after an enforced weather break stringing back to November 24.

Sitting six points behind League leaders North End, they desperately needed a win over fellow promotion candidates East Craigie. Ross McLeod missed out and 17-year-old Dean Easton stepped in on loan from Montrose FC. The only other absentee was the suspended Craig Anderson.

Roselea were needing a win, but disaster struck in the fourth minute. Craigie were awarded a free kick just five yards into the Roselea half. However, SMALL sent in a long free kick which deceived Easton in the home goal.

Cruickshank was looking lively for the Lea and on a couple of occasions got past his opposing player to put in dangerous crosses.

Easton was almost caught out again when a long clearance bounced awkwardly but luckily for him it was off target.

Roselea fell further behind on the 18th minute. Small turned provider as he jinked his way down the line and put in a perfect cross for CONSTABLE to head home at the far post, six yards out.

Roselea had a penalty claim turned down in 28 minutes when Ross sent Reid down the right and Watson tumbled in the box as he attempted to head home, with Cruickshank just a yard short when the ball broke at the back post.

Roselea’s hard work paid off with a penalty in 35 minutes when Watson was brought down by visiting ‘keeper Adam who escaped a booking. Ross’s effort was high and wide of the target.

Roselea got back into the game in the 39th minute. Watson slid in with Adam and the ball broke to Ross outside the box. He shot just over but Adam followed through and a free kick was awarded. Adam was booked this time for his foul. COLLIER was taking no prisoners with his dipping shot going through the wall. The sheer power beat Adam from 20 yards.

Scott Riach had a great speculative left-footed shot from 35 yards that just cleared the Craigie bar.

Half-time: Roselea 1, East Craigie 2.

Roselea got the start they wanted to the second half when Dale Reid, the on-loan Montrose FC signing got the equaliser in 48 minutes. The ball broke in the box and with ‘keeper Adam looking the favourite to win the challenge REID never gave up and the ball broke off him and into the net.

Roselea thought they had the lead in the 54th minute when Whyte headed a Cruickshank corner goalwards and there were claims the ball had crossed the line.

East Craigie almost reinstated their lead in the 57th minute when Small picked up a loose ball at the corner of the box and fired a great shot which was goalbound before Reoch got a slight touch with his head to divert it behind for a corner. Small took it and when the ball was cleared back to him he found Scrimgeour in acres of room. He screwed his header wide to give Roselea another let off.

Roselea got back level in 64 minutes. Reid again got the important goal. Ryan Taylor had a great run from the left back area, beating four men before cutting the ball back. After Watson dummied the ball REID scored from close range.

It was a game where a one-goal cushion was never going to be enough. Roselea thought they had scored a perfectly good goal when Reid headed home a Watson cross in 69 minutes. The assistant had a different view on matters and raised his flag for a puzzling offside which denied Reid his hat-trick.

Roselea had another chance to go further ahead in 74 minutes. This time Whyte challenged Adam at a corner and ball broke to half time sub Urquhart who volleyed over when he should have hit the target.

East Craigie had a chance to equalise when danger man Small sent in a cross which hit the Roselea bar. Whyte had to be alert to clear the ball back into the box.

Play swung from end to end and Roselea had a further chance in 76 minutes. Adam came off his line to clear and only found Watson who couldn’t get a shot away early enough with the ‘keeper stranded. When he shot, McFarlane had got back to clear. Reid picked up the loose ball before bringing a save out of Adam.

In 79 minutes Roselea’s failure to close the game came back to bite them when Craigie won a penalty after Ryan Taylor brought Hart down. SCRIMGEOUR stepped up showed Ross how to do it as he blasted the ball home.

Ryan Taylor made amends for his penalty loss as he cleared the ball off the line with the game over.

Roselea’s inability to finish the game off with a vital fourth goal. was crucial. The decision to rule off Dale Reid’s header was cruel, with the player appearing to head home after he attacked the ball from an onside position. Results elsewhere meant Roselea did not lose ground with the leaders, but Forfar West End and Kirrie Thistle won, meaning the race for the two promotion spots is becoming more difficult.

Roselea: Easton, Rae, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Reid, Riach, Ross, Cruickshank, Watson, Collier. Substitutes: Milne, Urquhart, P. Taylor, Brand and Craig.


The dinner on February 9 looks like a sell-out again (220). Hospitality for the Jeanfield Swifts Emirates Scottish Junior Cup fourth round tie on January 19 has sold out.

See page 20 for report on match against Coupar Angus on Saturday