Roselea battle back from red card to earn 1-1 draw

Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.
Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.

Roselea picked up what appeared to be an unlikely point at one stage after battling from a goal and a man down to draw 1-1 with Bathgate Thistle.

Montrose welcomed back Collier, Tringham, Watson and Thomson into the starting line up in what was a more experienced outfit compared to the midweek defeat against Lochee.

Bathgate had the first chance of the match in the fifth minute when Harris found Jack, but the striker’s toe-poked effort was well saved by McLeod.

The away team were happy to go long from the back and it was with this they scored their only goal of the match after 11 minutes on the clock.

A long ball found Jaconelli, the striker was tumbled to the ground by a Roselea defender and the referee pointed to the spot.

He brushed himself down to take the spot kick himself and casually slotted the ball home as McLeod dived the opposite way.

Jaconelli and Jack were linking up well for the away team and the former found the latter whose effort from 15 yards out was comfortably saved by McLeod.

Roselea had their first real chance after 33 minutes.

Anderson delivered a dangerous ball from a free kick into the area but Collier was just unable to get anything on it as the ball bounced into the greatful McQuillan’s hands.

Bathgate were pushing to extend their lead and were left kicking themselves when Nicoll was unable to head goalwords from a corner.

With five minutes left before half time Roselea were very unfortunate not to equalise.

Cruickshank floated in a great corner and the ball eventually landed to Tringham following a bit of pinball football.

The winger laid it off to Watson but his goal-bound effort was blocked bravely by away defender Brady on the line.

Just on the stroke of half time Watson found strike partner Collier but his header was easily saved by the Bathgate shotstopper.

Roselea were fortunate to not find themselves two down in the first minute of the second half as Jack had a first time effort come crashing back off the crossbar.

They then had a great opportunity after an hour; Watson pulled wide to collect the ball then sent in a deep cross to Collier but his header was wide of the target.

Roselea were then dealt a cruel blow as they were reduced to 10 men after 62 minutes.

Jaconelli beat the offside trap and as he bore down on goal, Thomson brought him down to prevent a great opportunity to score as he gave the referee no choice but to flash the red card.

Jaconelli took the free kick but McLeod was on hand to save the strike.

Campbell and Greig replaced Cruickshank and Taylor with 18 minutes to go as Collier was brought back into defence following the red card.

Roselea equalised after 73 minutes when a Findlater cross was bravely met by Watson who headed home into the empty net as keeper McQuillan knocked into him.

Truth be told this was not Roselea’s finest performance although there were some stand out performers.

This Saturday, Roselea visit Oakley United.