Roselea burn the hoose down

Roselea faced one of their hardest tasks of the season when league leaders Fauldhouse United visited Broomfield Park for a McBookie East Premier League match.

Things were made harder with the absence of striker Calum Watson and Craig Anderson served the second of a three game ban. Roselea added a trialist in the form of 16-year-old Montrose Youth FC player Craig Taylor meaning there were three brothers in the Roselea squad.

Fauldhouse lead the division with only Penicuik, by virtue of games in hand, having any chance of catching them. The sides met at Parkview in September with the home side winning 3-1, but a valiant second half performance from Roselea gave them hope.

In two minutes Ross gave the ball away in midfield, which saw Chilton of the visitors break through but Whyte read the situation and a great slide tackle averted the danger.

Calum Rae was caught napping on the ball but once again the reliable Whyte made sure that Fauldhouse were not to be gifted and cleared the ball.

There were numerous fouls committed by the away side in the first 15 minutes and from one free kick Roselea almost took the lead. In a pre-worked move, Cruickshank crossed for Whyte to head goalwards but the wind made his header easy meat for visiting keeper Murphy.

McLeod tried to throw the ball out to Riach at the half way line but a combination of the wind and great anticipation by Martin saw the forward shoot early from 40 yards and McLeod, who seemed unsighted at first, recovered to make a great save.

McLeod was being the star man for the home team at this stage but was dealing with all put to him and when Shanks sent in a cross he had to tip over the bar when the wind carried it more advanced than the thought.

Ross had a good effort for Roselea as they passed the ball around well and the ball fell to the midfielder 30 yards out but his shot was always rising in the wind and didn’t trouble Murphy.

Half-time: Montrose Roselea 0, Fauldhouse United 0.

Fauldhouse made a change at half time with Shaun Martin coming on for Wilkins, who had been booked for dissent at the end of the first half. He had the ball in the net in 47 minutes but the far side assistant had already raised his flag for offside.

McLeod made a great save from Chilton after a deflection cruelly beat the Roselea defence and as he dived at his feet it looked like the ball had gone out for a bye-kick but a corner was given.

The home team took the lead with a well taken goal. A Ryan Taylor ball was flighted into the box and Whytes leap was enough to distract the defender as the ball fell to Dale REID, who took a great touch before passing home behind from eight yards.

Fauldhouse had their best chance when a lucky break of the ball saw Chilton round McLeod and from a tight angle he should still have scored but Rae was on hand to stop the ball on the line then clear.

Scott Riach picked up an injury in 87 minutes and was duly replaced by Paul Taylor, but there was to be no time for three brothers on the pitch, although there will be time for that going by the youngest Taylors impressive displays in friendly matches.

After an agonising three minutes added time despite there being only two subs and no injury treatments referee Chris Fordyce call a halt to proceedings.

This was a massive win for Roselea and despite all the remaining five home fixtures being against higher position teams this on paper would be the least likely to provide a home win. Ross McLeod should take centre stage again for a great performance but the whole team put in a great performance all around the pitch. The win raises Roselea to third bottom spot and with several sides within striking distance it gives a massive confidence that Premier League survival could be obtained.

This week Roselea travel to Perth to face Kinnoull in another Premier League game, which kicks off at 2.30 p.m.

Roselea: McLeod, Rae, Whyte, Richardson, R. Taylor, Riach, Reoch, Ross, Cruickshank, Reid, Collier. Subs: Thomson, Watson, P. Taylor, C. Taylor and Kerrigan.