Roselea charge goes on at Kirrie

Roselea travelled to Westview Park, Kirriemuir, on Saturday to face Kirrie Thistle in the North Division.

Both sides were in a rich vein of form and a tight match was expected. Roselea were still without injury victims Calum Rae and Ross Colquhoun. Lee Hood and Jack Rodger are still out on loan. One change was made with Stewart Fletcher replacing Jo Aitken.

Roselea had drawn level with leaders Violet, who have two games in hand, and a win was a must. The morning downpour meant it was heavy going.

A dangerous Kirrie cross fell nicely into the hands on McLeod after it deflected off Whyte. At the other end a Webster cross was turned behind for a corner.

The pitch was cutting up badly and it was already hard for some players to keep their feet.

In seven minutes good refereeing saw a foul on Urquhart waved on and Collier slipped Fletcher in and he should have done better than blasting wide from 12 yards.

Roselea were caught on a break in 11 minutes when Scott played in a great ball to Sievwright but his curling effort went wide.

Seven minutes later Roselea took the lead with a goal their play merited. Stewart FLETCHER picked the ball up inside the Kirrie penalty box and shimmied his marker before striking a great left foot shot from 14 yards.

Kirrie’s Robbie Black was lucky to escape a booking on two occasions, with a heavy challenge on Urquhart eluding the referee.

In 38 minutes Roselea increased their lead and it was FLETCHER who finished well from eight yards after Hutchison had to parry a curling Webster shot out.

Roselea further increased their lead in 41 minutes. A long free kick was flighted at Collier in the Kirrie box and when he challenged Hutchison in the air the ball broke to FLETCHER who finished through a ruck of players.

Half-time: Kirrie Thistle 0, Montrose Roselea 3.

Archibald had the first attempt after the break when he swung his left foot at a knockdown from a corner but he was wide and high.

In 51 minutes Reoch had to block a shot in the box. As play raged to the other end Fletcher had a defender in the way of his shot.

Fourteen minutes later Collier almost added to Roselea’s lead when his first-time left-foot flick went over.

Roselea made a change in 74 minutes with Kennedy replacing Urquhart who had worked hard.

The visitors were awarded a penalty four minutes later. Webster twisted and turned his man before sending a deep cross. Just as Fletcher was about to head goalwards he was bundled down. Before the kick Kirrie’s Taylor was shown a straight red card for dissent. WEBSTER remained calm and slotted home. Roselea made a double substitution when Riach and Strachan replaced Fletcher and Webster.

Just on time there was another straight red card for the frustrated Kirrie side after Gorman chopped down Riach from behind.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Anderson, Mustard, Webster, Urquhart, Fletcher, Collier. Substitutes: Aitken, Riach, Kennedy, Strachan, Craig and Brand.

This was a professional performance from a Roselea side looking to pressurise leaders Violet, who won home to Blairgowrie.

This week they play Forfar Albion at home. Albion had their first win of the season two weeks ago and drew on Saturday. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.