Roselea defeated but not disgraced

Montrose Roselea 1 Dundee Violet 2

Roselea entertained champions-elect Violet on a sunny but cold Saturday in their final game of the 2011-12 North Division season.

Only a home win would prevent the visitors sealing the title.

For Roselea Ross Colquhoun returned, with the injured Calum Rae and on-loan players absent.

Violet took the lead in seven minutes with a well executed free kick. Urquhart was penalised for a hand ball and Sean ANDERSON sent a beautiful curling free kick from 25 yards over the wall into a corner, with McLeod almost getting there.

Violet’s Thomson made a crude challenge on Collier from behind but avoided yellow. Webster floated another curling ball, misjudged by Stewart in the Violet goal, and he tipped behind for a corner.

In 25 minutes R. Taylor was booked for dissent after another unpunished challenge on Collier.

The homesters were awarded a free kick in 40 minutes for yet another foul on Collier. Webster negotiated the Violet wall but his shot lacked punch. Roselea had their best chance of the half when Collier received the ball from Webster crossfield, springing the offside trap. Reynolds just managed to get a touch on the shot, deflecting it over for a corner.

Disaster struck the home side in 42 minutes when they conceded a second goal. The ever-dangerous Pirie got to the by-line and his deflected cross found the brave McCONNACHIE who stuck his head in where the boots were flying and made sure from close range.

Half-time: Roselea 0, Violet 2.

The second half started with the referee struggling to control matters and boiled over in the 60th minute. Paul Taylor, who had been booked, gave away a foul on the touchline which was neither dangerous nor worthy of anything else than the foul it was. To the amazement of the player the referee showed him a yellow card then realised it was his second and showed him red. Collier, frustrated, was then shown a straight red card for dissent.

During the rest of the match almost every man in green saw yellow as frustrations continued.

Roselea made a double substitution in 65 minutes when Kennedy and Strachan replaced Webster and Ryan Taylor. Eleven minutes later Colquhoun replaced Craig Anderson.

Fletcher wriggled his away along the by-line twisting and turning before hitting a left-foot shot which raised penalty claims from Roselea before a corner was awarded.

In 78 minutes Roselea were awarded a puzzling indirect free kick inside the Violet box for what was thought to be dangerous play. With the ball on the penalty spot and the Violet players practically on the six-yard box it took several attempts by the referee to get the kick to be taken.

Eventually Kennedy tapped the ball to COLQUHOUN who blasted home from 10 yards with the Violet players almost at the ball when he hit it.

Roselea: Mcleod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Urquhart, Anderson, Mustard, Webster, Collier, Fletcher. Substitutes: Aitken, Strachan, Kennedy, Colquhoun, Brand and Craig.

Nobody grudged Violet the win which allowed them to celebrate winning the title. The sending off of Paul Taylor was harsh although the nine men battled on bravely.

Roselea now have the longest break in years due to a combination of an 11-team league, kind winter and early cup knock outs. The young team and management have done exceptionally well to compete to the end against a side which has been put together at a big cost with bags of experience.