Roselea dominate and disappoint

ROSELEA travelled to Ogilvy Park to face near rivals Arbroath Vics in their second sectional League Cup match.

It was a confident squad which made the short journey down the coast, following their convincing 7-0 win over Forfar Albion the previous week.

Calum Watson who was carrying an injury dropped out and an ideal replacement in James Collier returned from suspension. Colin Kennedy missed out through work commitments and Joe Aitken was with Brechin Vics on loan. With both goalkeepers Ross McLeod and Ronnie Massie unavailable, a trialist was brought in.

Ogilvy Park was looking in top condition and the warm afternoon meant it was going to be hard going for both teams.

Roselea had first glimpse of goal in two minutes when Rae tried his luck from distance, trying to catch the Vics’ ‘keeper Hutcheson off his line but he shot wide. Shortly after Ryan Taylor took off up the line and his dangerous cross was headed behind for a corner under pressure from Collier.

Vics were looking dangerous on the break as Roselea camped in their half during the opening 10 minutes and it was on one of these breaks Vics took the lead. Ex Roselea man Simpson made a great run into the box and after evading a tackle the ball broke kindly back to him and he squared for WALKER to score from close range.

This shocked the Montrose side and spurred them on to create a chance a minute later. Cruickshank found Anderson who then played a one-two with Ross before being crudely brought down on the edge of the box. He took the kick himself from 18 yards but shot tamely wide without troubling Hutcheson.

Another ex-Roselea man Craig Watson was showing glimpses of his goal prowess and Reoch had to be sharp to catch him with a sliding tackle in the 15th minute when he looked like he had broken away.

A minute later Florence of Vics was very lucky to escape a booking or perhaps worse when he was pulled up for a challenge on Collier as he broke away. This time Ross took the free kick from 22 yards out and although his shot was on target it lacked enough venom to trouble the ‘keeper.

Roselea were in control but still looking for a way into the game. Ryan Taylor and Cruickshank combined well and won a corner which they played short and Collier found himself in space and his header was well saved by Hutcheson.

Watson broke again for Vics in 19 minutes and the Trialist ‘keeper redeemed himself after by being slow to come off his line and managed to beat the ball away from the big striker.

Roselea finally drew level in 25 minutes with a great goal that their play deserved. It was the visitors’ turn to break with Anderson picking up a lose ball and passed to Urquhart who in turn spotted CRUICKSHANK who had made a great crossfield run and after steadying himself sent an unstoppable right footed shot into the top left hand corner which hit the stantion before settling into the net.

Play was getting bogged down with some slack passing and tackles cutting out any creativity. It wasn’t until the 37th minute that Vics’ Walker tried a 30 yard shot which was well wide.

Anderson should have put Roselea ahead in the 40th minute when Collier knocked a Cruickshank cross back across the 6 yard box and his diving header went over the bar with Hutcheson beaten.

The Montrose men had two more half-chances before the period ended. Danny Ross had a snap-shot which hit the side-netting then Ryan Taylor went on a long run and was foiled as he was about to shoot in the box.

Half-time: Arbroath Vics 1, Roselea 1.

Roselea came out with the correct attitude at the start of the second half. Anderson drove forward and connected well with Ross however his return pass was just over hit and the ball ran through to Hutcheson.

The visitors had a strong appeal for a penalty as Ross broke into the box in 53 minutes. Florence appeared to pull at Ross then tripped him as he wriggled away from his marker but referee Reekie did not share the same view.

Arbroath Vics were also after the win to get their League Cup challenge into gear following their draw in the opening day. And in 55 minutes Warren broke down the left and sent in a very dangerous cross which Whyte cleared with Watson sliding in. The striker was injured in the challenge and was able to resume after some treatment.

Cruickshank was next to try his luck for the visitors this time and his 30 yard snapshot was not far away. Allan replaced Paul Taylor in the 63 minute just after the full-back picked up a caution for a late tackle.

Danny Ross latched on to a ball in the box in the 65th minute but just as he was to cut the ball across to Collier he slipped and the ball ballooned over the bar with the chance gone.

Three minutes later Vics’ Walker sent a ball flashing across the face of the Lea goal with no takers. After dominating the first half Roselea were now sharing the honours in the second with the home team.

Allan received a great crossfield pass from Cruickshank in 72 minutes and his cross was volleyed over by Urquhart who should really have done better.

Fletcher replaced Urquhart five minutes later and the change almost paid dividends when he got on the end of a Collier flick on but dragged his shot wide of the post.

Disaster struck for Roselea in the 81st minute as so happens to a team on top that cant turn the advantage into goals. Whyte appeared to be fouled going for a header and in turn brought down Warren. Warren sent in a great ball and STURROCK scored with a great diving header to send the Vics’ support into raptures.

Roselea came close to bagging the equaliser in the 85th minute when after some good play, Collier turned his marker in the box and struck a shot which hit the post.

Craig Watson was lucky to stay on the field after a blatant kick at Reoch who was on the ground. Referee Reekie was perhaps unsighted and realising something had happened took the safe option and showed a yellow card.

Roselea piled on the pressure and won a free kick 25 yards out. Whyte hit a screaming shot which was goalbound before Durno stuck out a leg and deflected the ball behind for a corner.

The visitors continued to probe at the Vics’ defence and Collier came close with a header. There was still time for Watson to get the red card he should have perhaps had minutes earlier when he was sent packing for another bad tackle on Reoch.

This was a very sore defeat for Roselea. Having dominated the entire first half and much of the second they should have taken more out of the game. Vics did not play much football but did make life difficult for Roselea.

Michael Cruickshank scored a great goal and again there were some great performances with Paul Whyte leading by example at the back. The trialist ‘keeper did all that was asked of him and will hopefully have enjoyed the experience.

Roselea: Trialist, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Urquhart, Rae, Anderson, Ross, Collier, Cruickshank. Substitutes: Allan, Milne, Riach, Fletcher and Brand.