Roselea draw in cup group

ROSELEA opened their season 2011/12 on Saturday with a home League Cup match against Blairgowrie.

Roselea introduced five new players to their squad with Craig Anderson, Stewart Fletcher, Jack Rodger and brothers Paul and Ryan Taylor all coming in over the summer. James Collier was unavailable.

Blairgowrie also had a fresh look about them with a whole host of new players coming in.

The home side started the game well and had the first chance of the game in 10 minutes. Aitken was brought down around 30 yards from goal and the ball was played quickly to Colquhoun who hit a great shot which the ‘keeper parried to Aitken, but the striker was adjudged to be offside.

Blairgowrie almost took the lead against the run of play a couple of minutes later when a cross was volleyed goalwards by Millar and it went just wide of the upright.

A good move from Roselea in 15 minutes saw Kennedy and Fletcher combine well in the box and Fletcher saw his well-struck shot parried away by O’Brien in the Blair’ goal.

Craig Anderson struck the ball against the keeper’s legs and Fletcher followed up to get another shot which was turned behind for a corner.

Just before the interval Roselea tried to make their superior possession count for something. Taylor whipped in a great cross and Fletcher laid the ball back to Anderson whose shot was just over the bar.

Half-time: Roselea 0, Blairgowrie 0.

Roselea had a great chance to break the deadlock on 55 minutes when a well worked throw-in saw Craig Anderson get another chance but again he was thwarted by the in-form Blair’ ‘keeper.

The visitors were starting to come into things and Axworthy spun Whyte in the box before sending a low cross in which McLeod had to save as a Blair’ player was waiting to tap home.

Roselea finally got the goal that their pressure deserved in 67 minutes. Kennedy collected a short corner before driving along the bye-line and cut the ball back to Paul WHYTE who made no mistake from close range.

Roselea survived a scare in 72 minutes when a far post cross was somehow missed by a Blair’ striker after he hit the post from close range.

The home side made two changes three minutes later with Rae and Aitken being replaced by Hood and Paul Taylor.

Roselea had a brilliant chance to put the game beyond Blairgowrie’s reach in 80 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after number seven tripped Fletcher in the box. Mackie was sent off and Whyte stepped up but had his penalty well saved by O’Brien.

Two minutes later they thought they had scored when Taylor’s header was cleared off the line by a Blair’ defender.

Scott Riach replaced Joe Aitken with eight minutes left on the clock.

The visitors struck a blow to the home side when they won a penalty in 88 minutes. AXWORTHY kept his composure and struck home to give the Blair’ side an unlikely point.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, R. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Rae, Mustard, Anderson, Kennedy, Aitken and Fletcher. Substitutes: Hood, Riach, Rodger, Urquhart and Doug Craig.

It was a great performance from Roselea but they will have to be more ruthless in front of goal. They had several chances to score but were also up against a very in-form ‘keeper. There were promising displays from the new players with Ryan Taylor strolling through his first game for the club.

Arbroath Vics, who beat Forfar Albion 2-1, are the next opponents in the Cup Section and travel to Broomfield Park on Saturday. Kick off is at 2.30pm