Roselea fall to side on red-hot run

Roselea, still smarting from their defeat at Forfar West End, headed to Craigie Park on Saturday facing an equally tough proposition in undefeated East Craigie.

The Dundee side has had their best start in years, having won all four of their North Division League games.

Watson looks like being out for some time with an ankle injury from last week’s match and joined R. Taylor on the sidelines. Kennedy and Milne were unavailable but Reoch returned from holiday and Ross from work commitments. Two Amateur trialists made up the bench.

Although there had been heavy rain on Friday, Craigie Park was in excellent condition and reasonably firm despite many other games in the city being off.

Roselea started brightly and Fletcher had an opportunity with a free kick from 25 yards, but his shot lacked the power to beat Logie.

Both teams were knocking the ball about well, but it was not until the 14th minute that the next chance came and East Craigie took the lead. A free kick was awarded near the corner flag and when Roselea failed to clear their lines GRAY despatched a shot from close range.

The next chance fell to Roselea in 17 minutes. Cruickshank chipped the ball to Anderson who had made a great run into the box and Collier connected to the pass-back but his shot rose just over the bar.

Roselea passed up a gilt-edged chance to square things up on 27 minutes. Cruickshank picked the ball up on the half-way line before setting Urquhart away, beating the offside trap. He pulled the trigger outside the box and shot wide when he could have progressed further.

Collier had another shot inside the box after linking up with Fletcher but his low left foot shot was well held by Logie.

Roselea should have been prevented the second goal. A free kick was flighted in to the Roselea box and with both defenders and goalkeeper static, SCRIMGEOUR volleyed in off the post from six yards.

Just before the whistle Roselea made a substitution with a Trialist replacing Urquhart.

Half-time: East Craigie 2, Roselea 0.

East Craigie had a great chance to increase their lead in 59 minutes when Rae got on the wrong side of his man and his shot goal bound shot was deflected behind for a corner. The corner broke to Norrie but his shot was off target.

East Craigie should have put the game out of reach when Hart had only Reoch to beat on the line but managed to strike his shot against the defender’s chest. In 63 minutes McLeod had to make a great double save from Birmingham, then Hart’s follow-up effort as Craigie continued to pile on the pressure.

Roselea sent on their second Trialist for Ross in 64 minutes.

Roselea won a free kick for yet another foul on Collier in 67 minutes. Anderson sent in a great curling shot and was unlucky to see the ball hit the side-netting with a few supporters thinking it had gone in.

Roselea made their third change with Allan replacing Anderson in 79 minutes. Cruickshank had a rasping shot tipped over the bar by Logie as Roselea tried to claw their way back.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Ross, Rae, Anderson, Cruickshank, Collier, Fletcher. Substitutes: Craig, Allan, Riach, Trialist and Trialist.

Referee: Michael Gill.

This was a sore defeat for Roselea against a hard working Craigie side who deserved their win.

Roselea now head to Larkhall for the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup second round tie against Royal Albert, who were idle after their game with Kilbirnie was postponed.