Roselea follow form book at lowly Coupar Angus

Coupar Angus 1 Montrose Roselea 5

Roselea travelled to Foxhall Park, Coupar Angus, on Saturday for a North Division game, after it passed a pitch inspection.

Graham Allan returned to the squad and there was a welcome return for Craig Anderson who had finally finished his ban which had been prolonged due to cancelled games. Roselea were still smarting from the fact that they should have taken all three points the previous week against East Craigie and only a win against the League’s pointless bottom side would keep them in touch.

Roselea were first to threaten when Reid was sharp and brought down 25 yards out in four minutes. Collier took the free kick but couldn’t emulate his effort of the previous week as it went just past the post.

Coupar Angus showed that it would not all be one-way traffic and the lively Kennedy picked up a clearance from a corner before nutmegging Ryan Taylor and shooting just over.

Reid had a chance to open the scoring on 20 minutes when he was sent clear with only Mackie to beat. He tried to slide the ball under the ‘keeper who saved well.

Coupar Angus almost shocked Roselea with a goal two minutes later. Easton flapped at a corner and Mitchell headed goalwards only to be denied by Ryan Taylor’s clearance on the line.

Ferrier of Coupar Angus picked up a booking in 29 minutes for a foul on Reid. Ryan Taylor was not far away this time with the 25-yard free kick.

The breakthrough came in the 37th minute when REID had a carbon copy of his earlier chance; this time he elected to round Mackie and slid the ball home.

Roselea made it 2-0 in 42 minutes. Riach showed great composure to slip the ball to COLLIER who took a touch before sliding home with Coupar Angus appealing for offside.

Half-time: Coupar Angus 0, Montrose Roselea 2.

Three minutes into the second half Coupar Angus’s KENNEDY was given time and space to turn and hit a great chipped shot over Easton and into the corner of the net.

Coupar Angus had two chances to equalise in 60 minutes when Mackie had a free header from a free kick and only a great save from Easton stopped him scoring. The ball came in from the corner and in the scramble Easton had to make another great save to keep Roselea ahead.

Roselea made a change in 64 minutes with Watson replacing Riach.

In 66 minutes Paul Taylor received a short corner and delivered an excellent ball into the box for WHYTE to score with a brilliant close-range overhead kick.

Two minutes later Roselea won a penalty when Collier was brought down. WATSON gave Mackie no chance from the spot.

Roselea made another change in 76 minutes with Urquhart replacing hard-working Cruickshank.

The visitors made it five when Anderson’s corner was headed across goal by Whyte and URQUHART made no mistake from four yards with a low header.

Milne replaced Rae in 80 minutes.

Watson had another chance in 85 minutes when his low shot was palmed onto the post by Mackie in the home goal.

There was still time for two red cards for the home team in the closing minutes with Ferrier and Scrimgeour both being dismissed for second yellow offences.

Roselea: Easton, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Riach, Rae, Anderson, Cruickshank, Reid and Collier. Substitutes: Allan, Milne, Urquhart, Watson and Ross.

Roselea remain mid-table in a tight League, still six points behind with two games in hand.

This week Roselea host Superleague side Lochee United in the GA Cup first Round with a 1.45pm kick-off at Broomfield Park.

On January 19, Jeanfield Swifts come to Montrose for an exciting Emirates Scottish Junior Cup fourth round tie, again with a 1.45pm kick-off