Roselea in semis of GA Cup

Stonehaven 2 Montrose Roselea 3

Roselea travelled to their closest North Region neighbours Stonehaven on Saturday for their quarter-finals GA Cup tie, full of optimism after being on a 10-match unbeaten run which has seen them claw their way right back into the promotion race.

A welcome break from the rigours of the North Division challenge, this was the first competitive match between the sides since the same competition was named the Zamoyski Cup in 1989.

The sides also met in the quarter-final that day with Stonehaven recording a 2-0 victory. Over the last few years the clubs have played many friendly matches at Broomfield Park with honours shared overall.

Despite the day off from the League there had been and would be some important games to look at. Kirrie Thistle came from two goals behind in 20 minutes to beat Forfar West End 3-2 in a pulsating game in midweek, and all the title challengers were on duty apart from Dundee North End who were also on GA Cup duty up at Banff versus Deveronside.

Roselea had two selection problems, with Calum Rae who was out of the country, and Danny Ross who was ill.

On a great spring afternoon for football Roselea lined up at Glenury Park against one of the best teams in the North Region, although due to lack of games Stonehaven are currently languishing in the lower reaches of the North Superleague.

Roselea were on top early on with Michael Cruickshank seeing some action on the left hand side with the visitors showing they wanted to attack.

In an even opening 10 minutes Roselea had the first real chance when Calum Watson swivelled in the box but could not get enough power to threaten Smith in the Stonehaven goal.

Once again Roselea attack with Cruickshank looking menacing on the left side. He middled and Watson had his shot saved by Michael Smith, who is the son of Roselea goalkeeping legend Trevor Smith.

Horne was the predicted danger man for the Hive and he had a turn and shot on 19 minutes, but was off target.

Roselea had a double chance three minutes later when Reid had a shot blocked by the big Stonehaven ‘keeper, then Watson had his follow-up effort also blocked.

In 25 minutes Horne had another shot from the edge of the box but McLeod was equal to the task and saved well.

Three minutes later Reoch of the visitors was booked for a dive in the penalty area, although he was convinced he had been taken down.

On the half-hour mark Horne had a free kick chance 25 yards out be he only managed to find the Roselea wall which stood firm and the ball was cleared away.

The half was played out with no further goalmouth chances on what was as expected at this time of year, a dry and bumpy pitch.

Half-time: Stonehaven 0, Roselea 0.

Roselea wasted no time in the second half by scoring just three minutes in.

A short pass back allowed Calum WATSON in and he rounded the ‘keeper before slotting home.

The home side were level just two minutes later when a HORNE shot was deflected by Paul Taylor and into the net.

Stonehaven had the next chance in 55 minutes, when Horne latched on to a cross ball and fired it across the Roselea goalmouth with no colleagues on hand to finish.

Roselea regained the lead in 57 minutes.

A Cruickshank corner was missed by ‘keeper Smith and Calum WATSON had the easiest of headers at the far post to score his second of the afternoon.

Michael Cruickshank received a ball on the left hand side and beat his man before sending in a low dangerous cross which Smith did well to beat away from danger.

It was all square again in 65 minutes when ALEXANDER got his head to a great through-ball and over McLeod into the Roselea net as the tie heated up.

There were chances at both ends in 70 minutes.

First, danger man Horne had a shot saved by McLeod who then cleared to Reid at the other end and he headed narrowly over.

Roselea had a couple of chances, in 75 and 76 minutes, when Ryan Taylor had a shot from distance then Smith had to save well from Reid as Roselea tried to get their noses back in front.

Collier went close for Roselea in 85 minutes after he shot from a Cruickshank cross went just wide of the post.

Roselea grabbed a dramatic winner in 87 minutes, just as it looked if penalties would decide the tie.

Jordan REOCH latched on to a loose ball in the box and drove it home from 12 yards, much to the delight of this team mates and the travelling support.

There was still time for another chance which Riach could not convert but the result was secured as the referee blew for full time.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Riach, Anderson, Collier, Cruickshank, Watson, Reid. Substitutes: Watt, Beedie, Brand and Craig.

A tough match was expected against one of the strongest sides in the North Juniors and it was a close call, although the visitors did control the match for long periods.

This takes Roselea into the semi-final and the Montrose side will face either Banks o’ Dee or Stoneywood, at home.

That quarter-final tie takes place on Wednesday, May 1.

North End also won at Deveronside and will face either Carnoustie or Jeanfield Swifts in the other semi-final.

It is back to League business this Saturday with a trip to Arbroath Vics on the cards.

The match at Ogilvy Park kicks off at 2.30pm.

East Craigie won at Lochee Harp so they now top the Division but Roselea still have a game in hand.

Saturday could go a long way to them securing promotion but as always Arbroath Vics will be a tough test.

East Craigie face Dundee North End so something will give there to benefit Roselea.

P W D L F A Pts

East Craigie 20 14 2 4 56 28 44

Roselea 19 13 2 4 58 19 41

Dundee NE 19 12 3 4 55 22 39

Kirrie Thistle 17 11 4 2 52 23 37

Arbroath Vics 21 11 4 6 50 34 37

Downfield 20 11 3 7 55 36 35

Blairgowrie 21 10 2 9 47 27 32

Forfar WE* 17 12 0 5 43 30 30

Lochee Harp 18 4 2 12 22 45 14

Brechin Vics 22 3 1 18 31 73 10

Forfar Albion 18 2 1 15 23 80 7

Coupar Angus 20 1 1 18 18 84 4

* Points deducted for nonfulfilment of fixtures, season 2011/12.