Roselea keep on piling the points

Montrose Roselea 2 Arbroath Vics 0

Roselea continued their push for promotion on Saturday with a home game against Arbroath Vics.

These games have been very tight over the years and with a return due this was a crucial match with only eight games remaining in the League. Roselea started the day three points behind their Angus rivals but also had a game in hand.

James Collier was on holiday and Ryan Taylor recovered from his injury the previous week against Brechin Vics to give the Broomfield men an unchanged starting line up for the third week running. Vics had recent signing Paul Tosh, the ex Dundee, Hibs and Darlington player, in their squad. There had been some doubt about the game in the morning with Arbroath’s fixture at Gayfield being postponed. However the decision was made that the game should be played despite the harsh conditions.

Roselea made a dream start with a goal inside 10 seconds. Ross struck a shot from 20 yards which Hutcheson looked like he had covered; however the ball deflected off defender Steve FLORENCE and went into the corner of the net.

Vics settled down and forced two corners. Former Roselea player Watson should have scored from one of them.

In 20 minutes Vics had another couple of chances with another ex-Roselea man Fotheringham pulling out a good save from McLeod at his near post then wasting another chance to shoot.

Disaster struck for the visitors with a double blow in 26 minutes. Watson broke down the right and centred to Dale Reid who went between the ‘keeper and centre half Durno before being brought down. After a slight delay referee Fordyce awarded a penalty and sent ‘keeper Hutcheson off. Fotheringham took over in goal but could do little to stop WATSON’S penalty hitting the back of the net.

Simpson had a long-range effort for Vics on the half-hour and despite starting well off target the wind made it less than comfy for McLeod.

Calum Watson was brought down by Durno, 25 yards out on 34 minutes and after Ross fired the free kick into the wall his second effort went just over the bar.

Roselea missed a great chance for a third goal in 42 minutes. Rae sent in a great free kick and Ross had his far post shot parried out by the stand-in ‘keeper. Watson back-heeled and again the ball came back to Whyte who did not have time to compose himself before shooting.

Half-time: Roselea 2, Arbroath Vics 0.

Roselea opened well and were awarded a free kick when Watson was tackled from behind on the edge of the 18-yard box. This time Reid took the kick and Fotheringham tipped the ball over with the ball heading for the top corner.

It was Vics’ turn for a free kick in 52 minutes and Tosh hit a great low ball from 30 yards. McLeod did well to turn it around the base of his post for a corner.

Vics were down but not out and desperate to get into the game. McLeish tried his luck from 25 yards and his curling effort went just by the post.

Watson had a yet another free kick for Roselea on 60 minutes and when his low shot was parried out by the stand-in ‘keeper Anderson should have done better from the follow-up on the six-yard line.

Vics were having the upper hand despite having 10 men but Roselea were in no mood to hand any advantage back to the Arbroath side. They got their passing sorted out and Paul Taylor was involved in a move which ended with Watson shooting just over.

Vics had a penalty appeal in 78 minutes when a far post cross saw Taylor and Cowan challenge for the ball, with the away side claiming a foul on their player.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Ross, Anderson, Rae, Cruickshank, Reid, Watson. Substitutes Riach, Watt, Beedie, Kennedy and Craig

The win pulls Roselea up to fourth place, level on 29 points with Vics having played one game fewer. This leaves them three points behind leaders North End, having played the same number of games. North End were due to play Roselea this coming Saturday but in a fixture shuffle to accommodate the outstanding GA Cup ties, Roselea now play Lochee Harp at home with a 2.30pm kick-off, meaning those attending the Rangers’ game at Links Park can see both.

Man-of-the-match Craig Anderson was selected by match sponsors Les Davidson and friends.