Roselea lose out in penalty lottery

Wing attack from Roselea
Wing attack from Roselea

After penalties: Montrose Roselea 2, Dundee Violet 4

Roselea entertained Violet in a GA Cup first round tie, after disposing of Arbroath Vics in the preliminary round.

Both sides were on form with Roselea on a run of four straight wins. Manager Ralph Brand was away, running a half Marathon for Charity, so Steve Kerrigan stepped in to take the team. They also used the match to give several players a game who had not featured regularly.

The Broomfield Park surface was in immaculate condition, for the first of a run of four games to be played in the coming weeks, and there was a light breeze making it a very cold day for the watching fans.

Roselea got off to a flying start, with a goal in just 40 seconds. Watson played a great diagonal ball over to Mitchell and COLLIER turned his cross into the net for a perfect start. It was 2-0 to the home side in 6 minutes with another fine goal again created by Calum Watson. He dragged the ball down the left hand side and crossed with his left for Dale REID to power a header into the corner of the net.

The home side were on top and Violet keeper Thain had to block a Rae shot, after he palmed a Mitchell cross into the path of the Roselea midfielder in 26 minutes. Whyte from a corner and Collier with a 30 yard left-footed drive tested the Violet keeper.

There was a let off for Roselea when Wilson found himself with far too much room in 32 minutes but Thomson did well to get a toe in, to divert the ball for a corner. Violet got right back into the game a minute later, when Cox drove the ball across the goal and WILSON prodded home with Roselea appealing for an offside. Wilson had a header go over the bar from a Mair cross on 40 minutes as Violet pushed for an equaliser.

Roselea scored a minute before the half-time whistle and it was yet another well-constructed goal. Reid fought for the ball on the right hand corner and his perfect cross was headed home by Calum WATSON to give Roselea a half time cushion.

Half-Time: Montrose Roselea 3, Dundee Violet 1.

Roselea undid some of the good first half performance when they conceded a soft goal in 54 minutes. WILSON broke the offside trap and found himself through on goal but still had work to do and expertly lobbed McLeod from 18 yards. In 59 minutes, Watson did the same at the other end but Thain did well to get a hand to his flick.

Violet squared the game in the 62nd minute and again it was a poor goal to lose. COX found himself in far too much space on the left-hand side of the pitch and he drew McLeod out before slotting low into the corner of the net.

In 70 minutes Violet almost went in front, when Cox sent a rasping shot across the face of the Roselea goal. There followed a spell of very soft bookings from the match official and Ross Mitchell was shown a second yellow card which came from some play-acting from Sime. He was dismissed and left Roselea with 10 men for the final 10 minutes.

The official again frustrated the Roselea crowd when Urquhart, who was already on a booking, escaped a second when he brought down Rae. After the referee waved play on, he seemed to forget about the incident.

Roselea thought they had won the tie in the 88 minutes, when a great run and cross from Morgan Smith saw Calum Watson have a header from 2 yards but somehow he managed to hit the post.

Full-time: Montrose Roselea 3 Dundee Violet 3

It was on to the dreaded penalties after 90 minutes. McLeod saved Violet’s first penalty from Boyd, however Watson saw keeper Thain somehow scoop the ball over the bar with his foot when the ball went up the middle. Violet converted their next four with Reid and R Taylor converting and Whyte’s penalty scraping the outside of the post.

Roselea exited the cup but it was a very worthwhile exercise, with no fewer than five players starting for the first time in weeks. Pick of the bunch was 17-year-old Morgan Smith, who had an excellent game and was easily man-of-the-match. The whole squad will be needed over the coming months due to injuries and suspensions.

Roselea: McLeod, P Taylor, Findlater, Whyte, Thomson, Rae, Smith, Collier, Mitchell, Watson & Reid. Subs: R Taylor, Bailey, McDowell, Reoch & Tringham.

Roselea will lick their wounds from this defeat and pick themselves up for the next League match against Arniston Rangers who are next to arrive at Broomfield Park on Saturday with a 1.45 p.m. kick-off. After Roselea’s recent resurgence in the league, they will be looking to kick on from their last three wins in a row.