Roselea on form

Montrose Roselea 4 Lochee Harp 1

ROSELEA entertained Lochee Harp in a North Division clash on a perfect Saturday for football.

The sides had met at Beechwood Park for a cup tie in September with Roselea winning 3-2.

A win was needed to keep the pressure up on League leaders Violet who had a tough game themselves at Arbroath Vics. Missing for the home side was flu victim Bob Urquhart. Lee Hood stepped into his boots.

The opening goal came inside 30 seconds. Lee Hood picked the ball up just over the half-way line and slipped it to COLLIER. He drew the ‘keeper and slid the ball home from 16 yards.

Roselea had started very strongly and almost increased their lead in five minutes when Collier turned provider, this time putting Anderson in and he brought out a great save from Brown in the Harp goal.

A minute later Roselea did increase their lead with a well-taken goal by Lee HOOD. Ryan Taylor sent in a great cross which just missed the head of Collier and Hood controlled well before striking the ball past the ‘keeper.

But Harp got back into the game in the 10th minute of this frantic opening period. A corner was only cleared as far as McGuire on the left. His cross was headed goalwards by Fotheringham but TOVEY got another header in to change the direction of the ball past McLeod.

Roselea suffered a further setback on 17 minutes when Calum Rae had to be replaced by Sean Mustard following a heavy but fair challenge.

But the homesters restored their two-goal advantage in the 23rd minute. Colquhoun flighted a long free kick into the box and Paul WHYTE, just two yards in the box, sent a looping header over the ‘keeper and into the net.

Roselea had another chance in 33 minutes when Collier poked a Kennedy free kick goalwards and past the ‘keeper but a defender got back and cleared.

Harp were down but not out and McLeod had to save a low free kick.

The visitors had a penalty appeal after Ramsay went down in the box.

Half-time: Roselea 3, Lochee Harp 1.

Roselea had the first chance of the second period when Fletcher and Collier combined, but when Fletcher cut the ball back in the box Collier had his shot blocked.

Boyle of Harp got a bit too much room in 59 minutes when he got his head to a cross but could not trouble McLeod in the Roselea goal.

Roselea increased their lead in 64 minutes with a great goal. They were under some pressure and broke with Harp pushing forward. Lee Hood’s perfect cross found the head of Sean MUSTARD whose diving header finished the move.

The home side made instant changes, with Paul Taylor coming on for Stewart Fletcher and Joe Aitken replacing Craig Anderson.

Joe Aitken skinned his marker on the halfway line and made a bee-line for the box before squaring. Collier just failed to connect at the far post.

This win keep Roselea in contention. However, with Violet winning 1-0 at Arbroath the gap is still five points. This was Roselea’s sixth consecutive league win and was certainly aided by the blistering start they made.

One negative was the injury to Calum Rae that will certainly see him sidelined for a couple of months with ankle ligament damage.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Hood, Rae, Anderson, Kennedy, Collier, Fletcher. Substitutes: Riach, Aitken, P. Taylor, Rodger, Mustard and Craig.

Match sponsors Brooklyn UK Ltd., Laura Rose and Les Davidson chose Lee Hood as their Man of the Match

Roselea head to Guthrie Park Forfar on Saturday to face Forfar Albion who defeated them 4-1 last season and started their collapse in the title race.

The match kicks off at 1.45pm.