Roselea progress in Emirates Cup

Montrose Roselea 3

Maryhill 1

Roselea faced Central Second Division leaders Maryhill at Broomfield in the third round of the Emirates Junior Cup on Saturday.

There was a blow for Roselea in the build-up to the game with James Collier and Calum Rae injured. Dale Reid was back after his swift return to a suspension-hit Montrose the previous week. It was Colin Kennedy’s last game before moving to Ghana, and Stewart Fletcher who is leaving for Australia was also in attendance. Broomfield Park was in excellent condition for the tie.

Roselea kicked off facing a strong, low sun and gave Maryhill an early sign of their intentions to progress. Calum Watson had a snap shot go just wide and then in five minutes Dale Reid had a shot hit the inside of the post and the ball spun back across the face of the goal.

Danny Ross was next to try his luck for Roselea after he turned from a throw-in but his final shot was off target.

Roselea took the lead in 20 minutes. Good work in midfield by Craig Anderson opened up the Hill defence and Danny ROSS finished well from 14 yards out.

Watson had another chance for Roselea when he turned his marker in the box but was again just off target.

Maryhill had their first real effort on goal on the half hour but the headed effort went over.

The visitors then equalise in 34 minutes. SCOBIE found room at the back post and hit a great volley from 15 yards giving McLeod no chance in the home goal.

Roselea’s chances took a massive dent in 40 minutes when Craig Anderson was shown a straight red card after a late tackle.

But Roselea got their noses in front again and the goal came right on the stroke of half-time. Reid won a header on the halfway line and sent Calum WATSON on his way and he finished well.

Half-time: Roselea 2, Maryhill 1.

Roselea made a tactical change with Robert Urquhart replacing Dale Reid to leave Calum Watson as the sole striker up front.

Maryhill forced an early corner and Scott Riach did his job at the back post by clearing off the line.

Roselea were defending well by limiting the chances available to Maryhill and got their reward when they scored a third goal from the penalty spot in 55 minutes. Roselea had been awarded a free kick and Kennedy blasted the ball into the wall and it struck a hand. Calum WATSON stepped up and scored with the perfect kick.

Maryhill tried desperately to get back in the game but the Roselea rearguard were not in the mood to give up the precious lead.

Roselea made a further change with Riach being replaced by Cruickshank in 75 minutes.

Maryhill managed a couple of chances before the end with Mcleod making one great save, but Roselea held out for a fine victory.

Roselea: McLeod, Allan, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Riach, Anderson, Ross, Kennedy, Watson, Reid. Substitutes: P. Taylor, Milne, Urquhart and Cruickshank.

This was a hard-earned victory for Roselea but a well deserved one having played for a half with 10 men. There were some great displays, with Dale Reid looking lively and the defensive unit working well. Danny Ross was match sponsors Gill Financial Services Ltd., and the Smokey Crew’s man of the match.

Roselea are in the last 32 of the cup which has been held back until January 19.

Roselea face Downfield at Broomfield Park on Saturday. Every game is a must win in a very tight North Division. Kick-off is at 1.45pm.