Roselea roll on at Dyce

Jo Reoch receives his Man of The Match award from Barry Moir of Wild Well Control
Jo Reoch receives his Man of The Match award from Barry Moir of Wild Well Control

Roselea travelled up to Iain Mair Park to face old friends Dyce in the third round of the GA Cup.

Since the sides were paired in the 2008 Scottish Cup the teams have forged good links and have played each other in pre-season friendlies ever since. On Saturday, however the links were temporarily broken as a quarter-final place was up for grabs.

Roselea were again without Stuart Richardson, Stewart Fletcher and Carlos Silva due to work commitments. They were joined by Paul Taylor also through work so manager Brand had to shuffle his pack again.

There had been some doubt about the tie on Friday night as the pitch lies close to the River Don and there were some areas under water. Some sterling work from Dyce saw the tie go ahead but they had to narrow the pitch by four feet on each side to do so.

Dyce started on the front foot and forced a couple of early corners, one of which McLeod came and punched clear.

Rae played a cross-field pass to Watson, who then played a one-two with Reid before his shot was blocked and over for a corner.

Roselea had the ball in the net when Reid shot home from a Watson volleyed pass but was adjudged to be offside.

Watson and Reid again combined well but home ‘keeper Buchanan pulled off a save to prevent a goal.

In 20 minutes matters took a turn for the worse for the visitors when they were reduced to 10 men. Craig Anderson was fouled when clearing the ball and his reaction brought a red card for him after being spotted by the assistant referee. The Dyce player received a yellow card for his tackle.

Bartlett tested McLeod when Dyce broke following a Roselea corner but the visiting keeper saved well in 30 minutes.

Dyce had a free kick on the left hand side and Murray sent in a dangerous ball, which McLeod again punched clear.

Cruickshank sent over a great ball, which Collier managed to flick on, and Ross came sliding in at the back post only to be denied by another brilliant save from Buchanan.

Half Time: Dyce 0, Montrose Roselea 0.

Ross was put through, however his shot and rebound shot were both stopped by Buchanan. Ross and Rae combined with the latter’s cross just being missed by Collier in the middle.

Ross fed Cruickshank and he cut the ball along the six yard box and Collier managed to miss the target from five yards out.

A ball was cleared to WATSON and he cleverly chipped the ball over a defender then did the same with the ‘keeper.

Roselea made a change in 80th minute when Riach replaced Cruickshank.

REID pounced after a low Watson shot was beaten out by Buchanan. Reid was denied a second when Buchanan made another fine save turning the ball behind for a corner.

This was a great win over the North Super League leaders and only some great goal-keeping kept Dyce in the game for as long as they did. The 10 men battled well and it was probably more a case of not letting Dyce play rather than a poor performance from them.

Roselea were rewarded with a home tie in the quarter-finals against Hermes on March 29. Hospitality tickets for the GA Cup quarter-final match at home to Hermes are £40 per person.

Roselea’s match sponsors Gill Financial Services chose home ‘keeper Ross Buchanan as man-of-the-match with Jo Reoch being nominated by Dyce’s sponsor Wild Well Control.

ROSELEA: McLeod, Rae, Whyte, Reoch, R Taylor, Anderson, Collier, Ross, Cruickshank, Watson and Reid. Subs: Thomson, Riach, Brand and Kerrigan.