Roselea’s league run continues

Roselea returned to East Premier League action on Saturday when they entertained the leaders Edinburgh United, after two weeks rubbing shoulders with Linlithgow Rose of the Super League.

It was felt that the two matches against Linlithgow should have helped Roselea’s self-belief in the Premier League.

Edinburgh are a surprise package, having won the South Division and having had a great start to the Premier League; however, their away form is not as good as their 100 per cent home record.

Roselea had three injury worries in the back four with Jo Reoch, Kyle Findlater and Ryan Taylor all requiring fitness tests with only Reoch and Taylor passing fit.

An unexpected overnight frost put the game in doubt but the gamble not to have an inspection paid off when the thaw came around midday.

Roselea have had some early goals at Broomfield Park recently and almost scored in 18 seconds when Watson charged down a passback which ‘keeper Swinburne kicked off him for it to go narrowly wide.

Reoch did well to get his head to a free kick and cleared in four minutes.

In the ninth minute Watson turned superbly in the box and on to his left foot, and curled a great shot towards the far post which was only just off target.

United attacked again and McLeod had to push a very dangerous Inglis corner away in 12 minutes.

In 16 minutes Roselea hit back and Watson and Reid combined with the latter electing to shoot high and wide into the wind with Watson looking for the pass into the box.

Collier found himself the first booking of the game for going in hard on Miller despite getting the ball, however the referee deemed the tackle to be of the dangerous variety.

Roselea should have taken the lead in 37 minutes when Reid sprang the offside trap. Cruickshank played an inch-perfect pass which had centre half Miller toiling; however, he got a slight touch which sent Reid through on goal but he shot early when he should have rounded the ‘keeper.

There was an identical chance at the other end two minutes later when Whyte lost possession allowing Fisher to break clear.

He also went for the early shot which hit McLeod in the face for a great save from the Roselea stopper.

Half time: Montrose Roselea 0, Edinburgh United 0.

Edinburgh had the first chance of the second half when Hume broke free but a great stop from McLeod prevented a goal.

Ryan Taylor pulled up and was replaced by Ross Mitchell in 58 minutes.

Roselea took the lead on the hour-mark with a deserved goal after a good spell of pressure. Mitchell played back to Rae who sent in a great ball which just cleared the head of Miller to fall to James COLLIER who looped a header over Swinburne from 12 yards.

There was a great double chance for Roselea in 67 minutes when Watson and Reid both had shots from almost on the goal line cleared, then a minute later the same thing happened with the same players involved again but somehow the visitors’ goal escaped unscathed.

Roselea almost paid for the misses a couple of minutes later when Millar broke into the box and only another great save from McLeod kept the home side in front.

A second goal came in 71 minutes for Roselea. Watson broke on the left and crossed with his left to Dale REID who headed home at the far post.

Andrew Tringham replaced Scott McDowell in 80 minutes.

Edinburgh got a late lifeline when they were awarded a penalty in the 85th minute. Replacement left back Cruickshank brought down Inglis just inside the 18-yard box.

INGLIS dusted himself down and sent McLeod the wrong way from the spot to give Roselea something to think about.

Straight from kick-off Watson poked the ball through to Dale Reid who went past Gilhooley inside the box.

Gilhooley was red-carded for a goal scoring opportunity before Michael CRUICKSHANK redeemed himself by striking a great penalty into the net.

Roselea: McLeod, Rae, Reoch, Whyte, R. Taylor, Anderson, Collier, McDowell, Cruickshank, Reid and Watson. Substitutes: Mitchell, Smith, Tringham, P. Taylor and Thomson.

Roselea have had five straight wins in the League and for the fourth time have scored three goals.

The win takes them up to ninth place in a very tight League, six points off second top and also six points off second bottom!

This week they travel to the Warout Stadium to face Glenrothes, in second bottom place, who recently appointed Benny Andrew as manager. Kick-off is at 1.45 p.m.

On Saturday, December 20, Roselea will herald the two-week festive break with a home match against bottom team Kinnoull who remain winless after 15 games. Kick-off is at 1.30 p.m.