Roselea’s triumph in frozen north

Portgordon Vics 1 Montrose Roselea 2

Roselea ventured north on Saturday for a last 16 tie in the GA Cup.

A problem with the original bus resulted in a 30-minute delay with the team arriving just 30 minutes before kick-off.

After beating Superleague Lochee United in the previous round, Roselea were hot favourites to beat the home side who sat mid-table in the North First Division.

Roselea travelled minus the injured Danny Ross, and Graeme Allan who was working.

Portgordon, which is on the Moray coast along from Buckie, would give Broomfield Park a run for money in the coldest and windiest location for a football club.

The teams ran out on to a very bumpy surface which would test all abilities to control the ball and passes.

Roselea made a strong start to the game and took the lead in just six minutes. Dale Reid flicked a ball on to Craig Anderson and he drove into the box before cutting back to Calum WATSON. He poked home from six yards with the outside of his right foot.

After their great start Roselea let Portgordon back into the game. On 14 minutes Davidson was allowed far too much room in the middle of the park before unleashing a 30-yard shot which went just wide of the post.

Three minutes later Portgordon attacked again and a corner kick troubled the visitors before a hand-ball was given against an attacker.

Ross McLeod was called into action on the 20 minute mark when Leslie had a header blocked and then shot against the Roselea ‘keeper, who did well to close him down.

Portgordon were using the strong wind to their advantage and Mair had another long range shot from 30 yards which saw McLeod scrambling to make sure the ball was off target.

Calum Watson broke through in 23 minutes but home ‘keeper Redford did well to close the angle and blocked his left footed shot.

Ten minutes later Whyte almost doubled the lead when he headed a long throw-in from Craig Anderson just wide of the post.

In 42 minutes there was a spate of bookings with Rae and Anderson booked for Roselea after debating a foul and then a Portgordon player was booked for a very late tackle on Ryan Taylor.

Reid had another chance for Roselea in 42 minutes, but Redford did well to turn the ball behind for a corner, saving low at his front post.

Half-time: Portgordon 0, Roselea 1.

Roselea wasted no time in increasing their lead with a throw-in by the quick-thinking Calum Watson releasing Craig ANDERSON. He stayed composed and slid the ball under the advancing ‘keeper from 16 yards.

Roselea were on top and Whyte caused harm in the home box when he headed a corner back across the face of the goal, with the home side doing well to clear the danger in 53 minutes.

Portgordon had a chance two minutes later when Leslie found space in the box, but McLeod stood his ground and saved well.

Roselea made a double substitution on 60 minutes with Calum Rae and Dale Reid being replaced by Scott Riach and Paul Taylor.

In 73 minutes Portgordon almost gave themselves the lifeline they were looking for, with the game clearly far from being over as Leslie just failed to connect with a cross ball.

However, they did pull themselves back into the tie in 78 minutes when LESLIE converted a cross into the goal.

With no further chances in the game Roselea held out for a win, but were left hanging on a ‘shooglie peg’ for the last 10 minutes before sealing their trip into the last eight of the GA Cup.

Roselea: McLeod, Rae, Whyte, Reoch, R. Taylor, Anderson, Watt, Beedie, Cruickshank, Watson, Reid. Substitutes: Riach, P. Taylor, Collier and Brand.

After a very promising opening Roselea made hard work of this against a very average team, albeit one that worked hard to make things difficult for the visitors.

Although the outcome was never really in doubt it was an uncomfortable 90 minutes for all. The management team will be relieved that they came though a difficult match.

l This weekend Roselea are on the road again. However, it will be a shorter trip, to Victoria Park to play Brechin Vics in a local derby in the McBookie North Division. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.