Roselea seal midweek win over local rivals ASC

MONTROSE Roselea were still in with a chance of winning the league title and the only promotion space to the Premier League when they faced Arbroath Sporting Club last week.

Trailing leaders Downfield by three points with a game in hand meant a win was a must for Roselea. ASC realistically had little chance of winning the league, but were eyeing a high finish in an improved season for them.

Paul Whyte and Calum Rae missed out through injury along with long term absentees Colin Page and Ewan Graham.

On a bright evening Roselea kicked off facing the ever-dipping sun, Reid was caught out by a through ball and Snowden should have done better than putting the ball past the post for ASC.

The next chance came in 13 minutes when Hood went on a strong run down the right-hand side before picking out Urquhart with a great cut back, however, he elected to shoot first time when a better result might have been achieved had he taken a touch.

Hood was a threat to ASC and seven minutes later he cut another ball back to Collier, but ‘keeper Logie blocked before clearing.

In 23 minutes Urquhart had another chance but again his composure let hit him down.

Jordan Reoch had a strong run which finished with a 30-yard short that had Logie scrambling as the ball flashed past the post.

ASC had a couple of chances as the half drew to a close. First of all McPhee tried to chip McLeod but was off target with the ball finally being turned behind for a corner then from the corner McAvoy got his head to the ball but sent it wide.

Half-time: Roselea 0, ASC 0.

Roselea started the second half with a tactical change which saw Craig Watson replace David Craig.

Kennedy came close for Roselea with a 30-yard free kick in 48 minutes which went just wide of the upright with Logie beaten.

A minute later Roselea came closer when Collier flicked on Mustard’s slight touch went just wide.

Roselea were exerting the pressure on ASC and another two chances came their way in 55 minutes. Collier had a shot from close range saved then Hood followed up but again Logie saved well.

Roselea’s pressure finally paid off in 68 minutes and substitute Craig WATSON was the man. Stewart missed the ball allowing the big striker to cut in from the right after his first shot from a tight angle was saved his rebound effort was struck sweetly below the ‘keeper at the near post.

ASC were not finished and a dangerous free kick from McPhee had to be watched all the way by McLeod who held well.

Roselea were back on the attack and Colquhoun’s great cross was volleyed just over by Collier in 72 minutes. Watson came close again after chesting down a cross and just failing to lob the ball over Logie in 79 minutes.

With ASC on a dangerous break Fotheringham committed a professional foul and in doing so picked up his second yellow of the game and was forced to watch the last few minutes on the sidelines.

Referee Ferguson added around five minutes of injury time giving Roselea a nervy end to the game but they defended well and held out for the win.

Roselea just deserved to win this game which was played in similar conditions to the defeat from Violet a couple of weeks before.

Roselea: McLeod, Colquhoun, Reid, Mustard, Reoch, Kennedy, Hood, David Craig, Fotheringham, Urquhart, Collier. Subs: Riach, Aitken, Miller, Watson, Doug Craig and Brand.

Referee: William Ferguson.