Roselea tested by lowly Albion

ROSELEA had a home league game on Saturday against North Division strugglers Forfar Albion who sat second from the bottom.

Despite their lowly position they had hit form by winning and drawing their last two games.

The home side named the same line-up that started in the emphatic win over Kirrie Thistle seven days earlier. Ross Colquhoun returned to the bench after injury.

Roselea faced the customary Broomfield wind but had the first chance when a long free kick from Reoch was deflected into the path of Collier and his header was saved by the onrushing Wilson.

Albion retaliated in three minutes when Small broke away from Reoch but the defender’s pace got him back in position to block for a corner.

Roselea almost got caught out in six minutes when they failed to deal with a short corner and Ferguson’s shot was deflected behind.

Taylor tried his luck for Roselea when he connected with a Collier cut back but his right-foot shot was turned behind for a corner.

Low of the visiting side was lucky to escape a booking when he was late on Collier. From the free kick Webster chipped into the far post area and Mustard was not a million miles away with his header.

Roselea’s pressure paid off in 28 minutes when WHYTE connected well with a corner kick and strongly headed home.

Low gave away a free kick in eight minutes later, and when the ball broke to Whyte in the box he had to improvise but sent in a great volley which Wilson held.

On 40 minutes Roselea almost scored a controversial goal but it was chalked off with Collier in an offside position. Webster swung over a cross which Albion claimed was out and Fletcher’s shot was turned in by Collier.

There was another chance for Albion three minutes later but Reoch got in a block and when the ball was cleared to the other end Collier was brought down just outside the box. Fletcher tried an up and over the wall shot, aiming for the top-left corner, but was off target.

Half-time: Roselea 1, Forfar Albion 0.

Mustard was first to try his luck for Roselea in the second half and although his left footed strike was decent it was easily held by Wilson.

Low finally found himself in the book for a late challenge.

Roselea needed a second goal to make the points secure and nearly had it in 62 minutes. Collier and Fletcher combined well and Wilson saved with his feet again as Fletcher shot. The ball rebounded to Collier but his chip was just over.

In 66 minutes Roselea replaced Fletcher and Mustard with Kennedy and Aitken in a double substitution.

Roselea finally managed to secure the points courtesy of a penalty in 84 minutes. Collier shot against the hands of Low who couldn’t really get out of the way and the referee pointed to the spot. WEBSTER made no mistake, driving the ball into the corner.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Urquhart, Mustard, Anderson, Collier, Fletcher, Webster. Substitutes: Riach, Colquhoun, Kennedy, Aitken, Strachan, Brand and Craig.

The win keeps Roselea on the tail of co-leaders Violet who had won 3-2 at Lochee Harp. Match sponsors Neil Smith and KVA Legends presented Craig Anderson with his man-of-the-match award.

Roselea have a free week whilst leaders Violet host Arbroath Vics in a game in which all at Roselea hope that they falter.