Roselea through to GA Cup final


Montrose Roselea 3

Banks o Dee 1

Roselea took a break from the North Division on Saturday to face Aberdeen Superleague side Banks o Dee in the semi-final of the GA Cup.

After being on the road to Portgordon and Stonehaven in the previous rounds, home advantage made Roselea favourites to go through against the side sitting fourth in the North Superleague. There was a healthy support and Roselea had ex Banks o’ Dee player Billy Pirie in attendance as a guest.

The only absentee for the home side was holidaying club captain Paul Whyte.

Roselea had the first opening in five minutes when a perfectly weighted chipped ball was chested down by Watson into the box but the alert Stark in the Dee goal blocked with a 50/50 tackle. After treatment Stark was able to continue, but in 21 minutes Dee were forced to a change when he was replaced by Johnston after failing to recover fully.

Dee had the best chance in 27 minutes when a through ball found Jack and left him free on Mcleod; however the home ‘keeper stood his ground and when the ball broke to McCall, Jordan Reoch managed to get back and put in a fine tackle.

The visitors had the upper hand and after McCall held the ball up Rintoul went past him on the left and his shot from a narrow angle went inches wide.

Roselea had a massive let off just on the stroke of half-time when a ball bounced over the home defence allowing Jack through on Mcleod. His first touch was not the best and the home ‘keeper stood his ground before bringing off a great save.


Montrose Roselea 0, Banks o Dee 0.

Rae had a great chance for Roselea in 62 minutes but his decision to cross was wrong and he should have probably shot himself.

Roselea took the lead in 68 minutes when Collier appeared to be held back by a defender in the box before winning a corner. Cruickshank sent in the corner and it was COLLIER who got his head to the ball from close range.

Roselea doubled their lead two minutes later when a great curling free kick from Cruickshank was headed home by WATSON.

The home side appeared to be on easy street but that all changed in 76 minutes when Liversenge was brought down in the box by Reoch. After Reoch was booked SCAIFE sent an unstoppable penalty past Mcleod.

A minute later Roselea replaced Cruickshank with Danny Ross.

In 80 minutes Jordan Reoch intercepted the ball just inside the opponents’ half and went on a strong run. Just as he was about to shoot he was brought down. However, he was booked for a theatrical dive and as it was a second booking he had to leave the field.

Right on time Roselea made it 3-1 when ROSS finished well from 16 yards into the corner of the net.

Roselea: Mcleod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Reoch, Graham, Anderson, Rae, Collier, Cruickshank, Watson, Reid. Substitutes: Watt, Beedie, Riach, Ross and Craig.

Roselea will play final on May 25 at Whitton Park, Broughty Athletic’s ground. The opponents will be the winner of the North End v Jeanfield tie. A bus will run from the Golf Inn, so please contact Kevin Young on 01674 672047 for details.

Man of the Match for Roselea was goalkeeper Ross Mcleod. Billy Pirie presented his award from Sponsors MGFA.

Whilst Roselea were busy reaching the final of the Cup Kirrie Thistle were in league action and toppled Roselea from top spot. This Saturday Roselea get a chance to go back to the top when Kirrie Thistle are visitors to Broomfield Park in what could be a league decider. The match kicks off at 2.30pm.