Scarborough is the difference between teams

Roselea headed to Blairwood Park in Fife to face Oakley United in a East Premier match on Saturday.

Oakley were yet another team who fought back to turn around a Roselea lead earlier in the season.

The Montrose side travelled without Stuart Richardson, Craig Taylor and Arron Thomson, while James Collier was serving the last match of his three-game suspension.

Calum Rae and Calum Watson were both out injured, meaning that the only outfield subs were Ralph Brand and Steve Kerrigan.

Roselea pulled in ex Montrose FC manager Steven Tweed as a trialist.

The 41-year-old ex Hibs, Dundee, Duisburg and Scotland B cap had not played since 2011 when he turned out for Broughty Athletic.

Oakley were sitting second in the Premier League with an outside chance of making one of the two automatic promotion places, having played more games than those around them and only two games to play.

Roselea were sitting fifth bottom, and needed around six points from their last seven games to secure Premier League status.

Blairwood Park was very bumpy, and although the overnight rain had helped it, the players were going to have a tough afternoon keeping the ball under control.

Oakley had two early shots, with McLeod having to be alert, and he did well under pressure to hold on both occasions within the first five minutes.

Roselea were under pressure at the start, and Fraser crossed for danger man Scarborough, who headed wide.

The visitors were starting to come into the game, and some good pressing of the ball saw them create their first chance in 19 minutes.

Danny Ross played Dale Reid in down the right, and after he had twisted and turned in the box, his shot was blocked behind for a corner.

In 25 minutes, Reid lost possession on the half way line and allowed Allan to tear down the wing, and his cross almost deceived McLeod as it just cleared the far post.

Four minutes later, Kevin Fotheringham sent in a dangerous free kick, which nobody took control of, and a slight touch from an Oakley player saw the ball just sneak past the post.

Half-time: Oakley United 0, Montrose Roselea 0.

There was an early let off in the second half when Whyte missed the ball allowing Scarborough in, but McLeod blocked and then also claimed the loose ball as well.

There was a second let off for Roselea in 50 minutes when Oakley right-back Conners cut inside then blasted over the bar with his right foot when he should have hit the target.

In 53 minutes, danger man Scarborough broke away despite looking offside and Tweed had to take a booking for bringing him down right on the edge of the area.

Fotheringham lined up to take the kick, but Fraser struck a great ball which luckily came off the wall with it looking netbound.

In 60 minutes, Roselea had a great chance when Reid’s pace took him away from Walker, and he cut the ball into the path of Riach, who shot early and dragged the ball wide of the post.

Oakley had a chance a minute later when a cross came in, and Scarborough scooped over from three yards out with claims for a corner with the ref awarding Roselea a bye kick.

Substitute Lee Dair then curled in a shot, which might have been going wide, but McLeod made sure with a great tip round the post for a corner.

Roselea then had a great chance in 70 minutes, when Paul Taylor flighted a ball through to Dale Reid, who held off a challenge from Scott Walker, and from 12 yards he blasted the ball high towards the net, but somehow the ball hit home keeper Burgess’s elbow and over the top for a corner.

Whyte then struck a volley from the edge of the box, but it was easily dealt with by Burgess.

Roselea had defended well with Tweed’s experience helping greatly – however, all the hard work was undone in 73 minutes when a lapse saw Bratchie cross for the man who looked most likely to score, Charlie SCARBOROUGH, and he headed home from close range with a good header.

Oakley saw out the match to the end with no further chances for either side.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte. Tweed, Riach, Anderson, Ross, Reoch, Cruickshank, Reid. Subs: Brand, Kerrigan and Gray.

This defeat ends Roselea’s five-match unbeaten run, but they probably deserved a draw from the match.

The difference between sides was probably the goalscorer Scarborough, who looked a threat any time he got on the ball.

Roselea as ever worked hard throughout the game – and a special thanks goes out to Steven Tweed for appearing at short notice, and he had a great game using all his experience to pull him through.

Results elsewhere meant that Roselea kept pace with the bottom pack – with Kirrie Thistle, Pumperston and Livingston United all losing.

However, Kirkcaldy won 2-0 at Violet, which means they now have a nine-point advantage over Roselea who have six games in hand.

Roselea face a tough task at home to Penicuik, who are one of the sides who look most likely to win the title.

Kick Off at Broomfield Park is at 2.30 p.m.

Roselea’s forthcoming fixtures are: Saturday, May 10, Glenrothes (A), Wednesday, May 14, Dundee Violet (A) and Saturday, May 17, Pumpherston (A).