Six-nil - but the right way round!

Brechin Vics 0 Montrose Roselea 6

Roselea headed to Victoria Park, Brechin, on Saturday to take on the Vics in a North Division game.

The visitors travelled minus James Collier, Graeme Allan and David Beedie. Paul Taylor came in at right back and Calum Rae took Beedie’s slot in midfield. Marcus Watt dropped to the bench with Danny Ross coming in on the right and Craig Anderson moving in field.

Roselea made a bright opening and it was no surprise that they took the lead in four minutes. Ross sent Watson away on the right flank and, despite being tugged back, he sent a low hard shot to the front post which Jamie could only parry into the path of CRUICKSHANK who followed up from close range.

Vics had their first sortie into the Roselea last third in 12 minutes. Lewis Robertson hit a firm shot from 25 yards which McLeod held well.

Roselea increased their lead in 14 minutes under controversial circumstances. Ryan Taylor mis-hit a cross when the ball took a bobble high into the air. WATSON was entitled to challenge and appeared to be fouled by the ‘keeper who fumbled the ball into the net.

The visitors scored again in 34 minutes when Danny ROSS followed a Reid blocked effort and finished left-footed from 16 yards, sending the ball high into the net.

Roselea were awarded a penalty just before the interval, which again aggrieved the home side. Cairney tackled Reid on the penalty spot and appeared to bring him down after winning the ball. REID stepped up and took the kick and smashed the ball home.

Half-time: Brechin Vics 0, Montrose Roselea 4.

Roselea opened the second half strongly and were awarded a free kick when Gourlay brought Reid down on the edge of the box. Anderson took the kick but sent the ball over the bar.

Calum WATSON scored twice quickly, on 52 and 54 minutes. First, Reid flicked a header on to him to calmly roll the ball in from eight yards; then Cruickshank got to the bye-line and crossed to make it easy for Watson’s third.

Roselea made a double change in 55 minutes with the two Calums, Watson and Rae, being replaced by Watt and Riach.

Michael Cruickshank was unlucky not to make it seven in 61 minutes when he picked the ball up 35 yards out and went on a run with just the finish missing as he curled his shot round the post.

Roselea made their last change in 65 when Kennedy replaced Ross.

Roselea were dominating and chances came thick and fast as Riach, Anderson and Cruickshank squandered great opportunities within minutes of each other.

Vics had another spell of pressure and Buggins should have scored when he hit the post from three yards after a corner.

Ryan Taylor looked to have been seriously injured in 82 minutes as he challenged a loose Anderson pass. Fyfe of Vics saw a straight red for the tackle and although Taylor played no further part, the injury was not as bad as first feared. Reoch picked up a booking for his part in the aftermath.

Anderson again outstripped the Vics’ defence and cut back to Reid; however the pass was too strong and the ball went high and was tipped over by Robbie for a corner as the game drew to a close.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Ross, Rae, Anderson, Cruickshank, Reid, and Watson. Substitutes: Watt, Riach, Kennedy and Craig.

The win, Kirrie Thistle and Blairgowrie drawing 1-1, and North End being idle, meant Roselea gained ground in the League, sitting sixth, six points behind the leaders, but with games in hand over most.

On Saturday Roselea face a tougher game with co-promotion chasers Arbroath Vics visiting Broomfield Park. Roselea sit three points behind the visitors but with a game in hand. With eight games remaining it is still all to play for.