So near in Glasgow for plucky under-14s

Sandymount 3, Montrose Youth Under-14s 1

MONTROSE Youth Under-14s travelled to Shettleston in Glasgow on Sunday, looking to progress into the last 16 of the Scottish Youth Cup.

The Montrose side have had some encouraging results recently and had hopes of maintaining their good run in the national competition.

However, just as it was looking likely a replay in Montrose was on the cards two late goals gave the Glasgow side passage into the next round.

The visitors started well but it was Sandymount who created the first opening in five minutes with a quick breakaway attack leaving an attacker to shoot from 10 yards. Good covering from Jamie Riach cleared off the line preventing an opening goal.

Liam Bailey then came close with a 12-yard shot well saved by the home ‘keeper in eight minutes.

Cameron Glennie made an alert save from a long range free kick which evaded all players.

The visitors’ encouraging start continued when they took the lead after 12 minutes. Kyle McLEOD pounced in the box to fire in snatched shot following a long throw in from Morgan Smith.

Sandymount began to settle and put Montrose under a period of concerted pressure. Cameron Glennie had to make a good double save in 20 minutes to keep Montrose ahead.

Minutes later Morgan Smith came close after making a strong tackle in midfield. He burst forward before firing in a 25-yard shot just past the post.

The Glasgow side came back into the match with an equaliser on the half-hour mark. Following a strong run, a cross was met at the back post for a close range shot to even the scores.

Half-time: Sandymount 1, Montrose 1.

After a half-time pep-talk Sandymount were back in the game, and they quickly put Montrose under pressure with a long ball in behind the defence. Glennie was alert and came out quickly to make a good save from a 20-yard snap shot.

Montrose created an opening when the ever-alert Kyle McLeod broke through. However the home ‘keeper could only clear as far as Jan Coineaux-Rice who promptly fired back at goal from 25 yards but his effort just went wide.

Glennie again came to the visitors’ aid when he foiled a strong run with another fine save.

The match was becoming more competitive and in 48 minutes McLeod made a determined run into the Sandymount box, only to be smothered by three defenders amidst some penalty claims.

Almost immediately Jordan Harrison made a crunching tackle to prevent a Sandymount forward getting in on goal.

Sandymount were now dominating the midfield but it was Matt Davies who was next to come close with a rising shot going close.

With the match appearing to be heading for stalemate the local side made the breakthrough when their ever dangerous-centre forward latched onto a header and fired in a well hit low drive to make it 2-1.

The same player made the match secure with another powerfully hit shot in the final minute. It took a slight deflection on its way to seal their victory.

Montrose had the last try at goal when Ryan Mather fired wide.

The Montrose side can take credit for their progress in this year’s Scottish Cup.

Team: Cameron Glennie, Shaun Low, Jordan Harrison, Dean Quinn, Jamie Riach, Matt Davies, Jan Coineaux-Rice, Morgan Smith, Scott Coull, Liam Bailey, Kyle McLeod, Ryan Mather, David Craig, Dylan Pert and Gareth Low.