team lines

Photo: Phoenix Photo Shop
Photo: Phoenix Photo Shop

Graham Webster was on the scoresheet again to give Montrose their first points away from home this season.

The midfielder’s 50th minute strike - his fifth goal of the season - earned the Gable Endies a hard-fought 1-0 win over Queen’s Park.

The Mo went into the game without the suspended and influential centre back Greg Pascazio who will also miss the game at Gayfield in two weeks’ time.

Replacing Pascazio at centre back was Andrew Steeves and young Ryan Kenneth stepped into the starting line up at left back.

The two other changes were Adrian Mallagaray and Terry Masson replacing Ross McCord and Gavin Malin, who made the bench.

There was an early shout by Queen’s Park for a penalty but it was rightly waved away by referee Munro to the early annoyance of the home crowd.

It was fully 15 minutes before Montrose launched a serious foray into enemy territory but that came to nothing as Queen’s Park came hurtling back, yet they simply wasted good possession time after time even from promising looking set pieces.

That was as much to do with excellent covering from Montrose in all areas of the pitch as the visitors worked together as a defensive unit.

Montrose blocked another effort on their goal line and Matty Allan finally cleared the danger with a strong header.

Millar then saved with his feet from Duggan but could only watch as a vicious cross from the right flashed across the face of goal with no takers.

Scott Johnston as usual was tireless and magnificently tackled back twice before Masson was fortunate to avoid a yellow much again to the annoyance of an uncompromising home crowd.

Webster was making good runs into space whilst Fraser, Campbell and Johnston were pegging the home defence down with constant running which created more space for the intelligent Webster as Queens became more frustrated and perhaps lost concentration.

Then Masson broke it up in midfield and did well to hold on to the ball which found its way to Webster inside the opposition half.

He cut this way and that before unleashing a daisy cutter into the bottom left hand corner of the net with home keeper Muir well beaten.

It was Montrose’s first shot on target.

Millar was not overly tested except odd times from long range.

McCord came on to shore up in midfield and replace the tiring Campbell with the equally tiring Fraser dropping back into the hole, so the younger Mallagaray went up as lone striker for the last section of the game.

Frantic stuff ensued from the home side as the 80 minute mark came and went.

Montrose had to keep their shape and concentration and did so admirably.

It wasn’t pretty at times as the ball was lumped out of defence late on.

The big guys from the back joined in an aerial bombardment as time ran out but Allan, Steeves and company did well with the remarkably cool Millar doing his bit.

Man of the match was Matty Allan for a faultless performace but only just ahead of the more experienced Andrew Steeves.

Ryan Kenneth must be mentioned as well as he worked hard under pressure and can be proud of his efforts.

All in all a fine team effort and this group of players are demonstrating good togetherness as a unit.

The victory sees Montrose keep pace with the sides at the top end of the table, with Annan Athletic the latest incumbents of this topsy-turvy league following a 2-0 away win over Arbroath.

And it’s Arbroath who lie in wait for Montrose in two weeks’ time at Gayfield.