This is where the excitement is

editorial image

Arbroath Vics 1 Montrose Roselea 3

Roselea travelled to old foes Arbroath Vics in search of three vital points to maintain their title challenge.

The squad was boosted by the return of Calum Rae and Danny Ross, and Ewan Graham back for the final games of the season. North End v East Craigie was off so Roselea had a massive incentive to get the points.

Roselea thought they had scored when Watson hit a great shot but the ball struck the base of the post. It was a brief delay for the home side as two minutes later WATSON cut in and this time with a left foot shot guided the ball into the corner of the net.

Vics had their first real chance in 20 minutes when Durno and Collier collided, with referee Roncone deciding for the home side. Warren took a dangerous free kick which went around the wall and although McLeod had two attempts to save he did a great job.

In 40 minutes Vics had a chance when a Warren cross was beaten out by McLeod and Fotheringham blasted the ball against the underside of the bar before Reoch cleared with his head.

There was another scramble in the Roselea box when a corner found Warren at the far post and his chip back in was eventually cleared by Rae.

Half-time: Arbroath Vics 0, Montrose Roselea 1.

Five minutes into the second half Vics were level. Stephen broke down the right and crossed into the Roselea box. MOWATT was allowed too much space and headed home from 12 yards.

In 60 minutes Roselea had a penalty claim and a major talking point. Cruickshank picked the ball up in the area, played the ball past a lunging Vics player and went down. Referee Roncone paused for a second but played on. There was a second claim two minutes later when Sturrock looking to have controlled a ball in the box with his hand.

Graham came on for Cruickshank then Ross for Reid. In 71 minutes Roselea went back in front after a long spell of pressure. A corner was cleared only as far as Anderson who hit a rasping half volley from 20 yards and COLLIER was in the right place to deflect the off-target shot into the net.

Graham had a free kick palmed over the top by Hutchison in 76 minutes as Roselea searched for the vital third goal.

In 78 minutes a whipped corner kick from Rae was flicked by the head of Reoch and looked net bound but slipped just wide.

Roselea looked to have secured the points in 81 minutes with a superb goal by Calum WATSON. He picked the ball up 35 yards out before cutting inside and sending a great 25 yard shot low into Hutchison’s right hand corner.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Anderson, Collier, Rae, Cruickshank, Watson, Reid. Substitutes: Ross, Riach, Beedie, Watt and Graham.

The win sends Roselea back to the top on goal difference. Kirrie sit one point behind with a game in hand and North End five points back also with a game in hand. With two home matches left, against Kirrie and Forfar Albion, two wins will secure the title; anything less than maximum points does not even guarantee promotion!

Roselea take a break from League action on Saturday and have a great opportunity to reach the GA Cup final when Banks o’ Dee arrive for the semi-final at Broomfield at 2.30pm.