Thistle move a step closer to title glory

MCT 7,

Marykirk 4

TABLE-toppers Montrose Caledonia Thistle took another huge step towards the Welfare League title after overcoming Marykirk in a thoroughly entertaining game down at Broomfield.

MCT welcomed back Williams after a suspension and almost immediately he played a significant part in the first goal. From the kick-off he beat two players in the middle of the park and played a delightful through-ball to Macpherson whose shot was saved, only for YOUNG to follow up the rebound.

It was 2-0 after just three minutes when a clever through-ball from Petrie found Macpherson who beat the ‘keeper, only to have his shot cleared off the line. But CANDY was there to trickle the ball over to double MCT’s advantage.

It was all guns blazing from the off by both teams and Marykirk showed this was not going to be a walkover by claiming a large chunk of possession after MCT scored their second. They had the ball in the net following a corner, only for the referee to halt play for an obstruction on the goalkeeper. However they did eventually pull one back through NICOL, who finished well into the bottom right corner past a helpless Laidlaw.

With the pass of the game, Flanders sent an excellent angled cross-field ball to MACPHERSON who controlled brilliantly before rifling the ball from just outside the box to hit both posts before going in.

MCT thought they had increased their lead in the 23rd minute. Williams following up a speculative Candy strike only for the referee to adjudge it offside.

It was all MCT at this stage, and Marykirk had their goalkeeper to thank for not finding themselves further behind. He saved brilliantly twice from Petrie, first from a goal-bound shot from five yards out, and then a bullet header that seemed destined for the back of the net only for Tambini to excel again.

MCT extended their advantage just before half-time in a great piece of football. McIntosh, Young and Williams linked up well to find MACPHERSON in space and he buried the ball past Tambini.

Half time: MCT 4, Marykirk 1.

For the second week in a row MCT conceded immediately after the re-start. A speculative long ball from Leslie tempted the onrushing MCT ‘keeper Laidlaw into coming out, and when HOWIE beat him his sliding tackle steered the ball into the unguarded net.

But McLEAN restored MCT’s three-goal cushion after setting himself up on the edge of the box with a neat chip to blast the ball on the half-volley, giving the keeper no chance.

McLean followed up his wonder goal with a contender for miss of the season. After a deep cross from Dundee found McLean at the back post, he managed to blast the ball over from just three yards out with an open goal gaping in his sights.

Marykirk gave MCT another scare after NICOL dubiously beat the offside trap to round ‘keeper Laidlaw and score. McLean was booked for his protests to the referee.

Williams then had another say in a goal. His delightful disguised pass found Candy who drove in and shot. His attempt was well saved but MACPHERSON was there to follow up.

MCT were hungry for goals but as they pushed more and more men up front they left themselves vulnerable to a counter-attack goal, and this is exactly what Marykirk punished them for. After an MCT corner was cleared by Leslie, Some good passing found McINTOSH who finished well to make it 6-4.

There was some brilliant defending from Dalgetty in the 86th minute, twice throwing himself at the ball to clear off the goal line from Candy and Williams.

MCT scored in the 88th minute after a Gunnis shot was well saved for CANDY to toe-poke the rebound into the bottom corner.

Marykirk looked to have score a late consolation in the final minute, but Laidlaw saved brilliantly to deny Nicol his hat-trick.

This was a thoroughly entertaining game that maintains MCT’s lead at the top of the table. Marykirk will take great heart from their performance, though, and both teams will look to build on this next week.

A stroll in a windy park

for Golf

Golf Inn 15, Bervie 0

GOLF Inn comfortably won this league game at a windswept Broomfield.

Both teams started with 10 men, and Golf Inn, playing into the wind, scored five goals in the first half through Jack Roger (2), Chris Millar (2) and Scott Young.

Golf Inn were able to bring their team up to 11 players at the break and with the wind at their backs the second half was spent entirely in the Bervie half.

Ten further goals were scored. Millar notched another three to take his tally to five, Kev Craig had a hat-trick, and Roger added one to completed his hat-trick, Young took his tally to two and Kev Harrison and the evergreen Neil Taylor both netted.

The scoring could have been higher but Kev Craig was denied by the woodwork on three occasions.

Weekend fixtures

SUNDAY’S Welfare League fixtures are as follows.

League: Black Abbot v Golf Inn; City Royal v MCT; Neptune v Bervie.

League Cup final: Springers v Hudsons.

Jack Bryson Cup: Fettercairn v Port Star.