Thriller as Fordoun make Piggins final

Fordoun Galaxy 5 Hillside 4

(after extra time)

The HOME side started this Piggins Cup semi-final brightly and came close to opening the scoring when McComiskie worked himself space and rattled the bar.

Three minutes later the same player won a penalty from which N. KEDDIE made no mistake and put Fordoun ahead.

In 14 minutes Hillside equalised with a free kick which home ‘keeper Milne won’t want to see again. Two minutes later and Galaxy were back in front when a short corner was whipped in by Duncan and DEANS bulleted home his header.

In 31 minutes another Hillside free kick brought a goal for the visitors but this time Milne had no chance .

Three minutes before half-time Hillside took the lead for the first time when number nine was played in on goal and slid the ball under the home ‘keeper.

Half-time: Fordoun Galaxy 2, Hillside 3.

Eight minutes into the second half the home side equalised when McCOMISKIE picked up a long ball from Milne and delightfully lobbed the Hillside number one.

In 61 the visitors were in front again, attacking down the right hand side and beating the Galaxy ‘keeper with aplomb.

Fordoun captain A. Stirling was denied by a great double save in the 76th minute but four minutes later N. Keddie lead the Hillside defence in a merry dance before coolly rolling the ball to A. STIRLING who smashed it into the back of the net for the final score of the 90 minutes.

Fordoun looked fresher as extra time started and had five great opportunities in the first period. The Hillside ‘keeper saved an N. Keddie header then blocked a McComiskie shot with his legs whilst Deans could only hit the post.

In the 106th minute of this compelling contest McComiskie fired over the bar and N. Keddie hit the crossbar with a free kick.

With 11 minutes to play a handball in the box gave Fordoun another penalty and N. KEDDIE sent his side ahead with his 28th goal of the season.

Substitute Murray had a great chance to seal it for Fordoun but sent his shot soaring over the trees. Then a late flashpoint saw Hillside reduced to 10 men before they forced the last chance of the game only to be denied by a great double save from Milne.

Fordoun recorded their first victory over Hillside to seal their place in the Piggins Cup final, their third cup final in a row.

Fordoun: Milne, Cuthill (Murray), Duncan, Cargill, A. Stirling, Michael Deans, R. Stirling, Thomson (Myers), N. Keddie, McComiskie and R. Keddie (Cruickshank). Unused: Anderson.