Tough away trip for Roselea

editorial image



Roselea travelled to Fauldhouse’s Parkview for their latest Premier League match. On the back of two wins over Violet in the League and Rosyth in the Cup, their was optimism in the ranks that a result could be achieved.

There were the usual injury problems to contend with, and Stewart Fletcher, Stuart Richardson and Jordan Reoch were all sidelined with Reoch’s looking more serious than first hoped. On top of that, Callum Rae picked up a two game suspension for his red card and left Manager Brand with the bare bones, with only Michael Cruickshank returning from work duty.

The sides last met in the Premier League in 2010, with Roselea drawing 2-2 at Parkview after a 4-1 win at home, however Fauldhouse is a notoriously hard place to go to and they would have to be at their best to take anything.

Roselea started with a defensive formation with Calum Watson playing in the lone striker role. It was the home side who broke first when their wide right player cut it but his weak shot was not enough to trouble McLeod.

In 4 minutes, Riach sent a ball over the top for Watson to chase and he almost got on the end of it but the keeper was sharply off his line to sweep up.

Roselea forced the first corner of the game in 10 minutes, when Watson broke in the corner. Manager Brand had a volley at the edge of the box, which was beaten down and the ball broke to the other end and only a great tackle from Collier prevented a goal.

Fauldhouse were having the lions share of the possession and they created a number of chances in succession. McLeod had to save twice in a minute, first beating a header away with his fists then saving another header with his feet in 12 minutes.

Fauldhouse took the lead in 21 minutes, and it was a super goal from CHILTON. Paul Taylor cleared and he took the ball down on his chest before unleashing an unstoppable left footed volley into the top corner leaving McLeod with no chance.

Worse was to follow when Fauldhouse doubled their lead. A great ball was played down the left flank behind Cruickshank and DONNELY came in behind Paul Tayler to slot home a great low cross, in 23 minutes.

Fauldhouse were looking good and their number six almost got a third when his great chip was clipped by McLeod and he managed to smother before it reached the line, in 25 minutes.

Roselea got an unexpected lifeline on the half hour mark against the run of play. Duncan Reid who had switched wings went on a great run skipping past thee players, before setting Anderson away on the right and his cross was flicked on by Watson before CRUICKSHANK came in to finish well from 6 yards.

There was a big let off from Roselea in 38 minutes, when slack marking at a throw in and Chilton almost grabbed his second of the day with a header at the near post which he should have done better with.

Fauldhouse continued to press Roselea, but the visitors managed to contain them with long range shots until the half time whistle went, much to their relief.

Half Time: Fauldhouse Utd 2, Montrose Roselea 1

Roselea came out in the second half with a more positive formation. Fauldhouse broke down the right hand side, and after McLeod blocked at the near post, a sliding block from Collier prevented a sure goal.

Roselea had a chance to get back on level terms in 48 minutes, when a mistake by Fauldhouse saw Duncan Reid slip the ball into Dale Reid, whose shot from a tight angle almost sneaked in at the far post.

Roselea were right back into the game now and could sense that Fauldhouse were apprehensive. Anderson was brought down and when he sent in the free kick, Watson picked up the ball on the right and a great defensive header at the neat post took out his dangerous cross. Wilkins was booked for the kick out and Anderson.

Roselea hand another chance on the hour mark, when Cruickshank sent a ball across the face of the goal with a defender’s deflection taking it away from Dale Reid and out for a corner.

Wilkins created controversy in 63 minutes, when he bore into the box and despite it looking like a dive inside the box as he pushed the ball between two players the referee awarded a free kick outside the box. The cross was wasted as it flashed behind to safety.

Roselea battled away and were having things a bit more their own way in the second half. Cruickshank sent in a dangerous cross, which the keeper had to tip away to safety. then he had a great chance after a slip in the box by the full back, however he tried to square the ball was scooped high and wide relieving the danger.

Roselea made a change in 83 minutes, with Brand being replaced by Gammie.

Roselea were caught with a sucker punch goal, as they pressed for the equaliser when DONNELY made the most off a good ball and cut in from the right before drilling home from 12 yards, in the 87th minute.

Roselea travelled with a squad rifled by injury and after a torrid first half can look back on what could have been. The formation appeared not to work with one man up front, allowing the home side to compose themselves at the back and set up wave after wave of attack. They went in happy being 2-1 down at half time, but put in a brave second half performance that may have reaped fairer rewards.

Results elsewhere means that Roselea drop to bottom spot. This week Roselea play Oakley Utd in the League at home with a 2 p.m. kick off.

Roselea: McLeod, P Taylor, R Taylor, Collier, Cruickshank, Brand, Riach Anderson, Dale Reid, Duncan Reid, Watson. Subs: Thomson, Gammie and Rausch.