Two from two for Mo against Clyde

Great penalty save  by John Gibson(Clyde). Photo by Phoenix Photo Shop.
Great penalty save by John Gibson(Clyde). Photo by Phoenix Photo Shop.

It’s seven points earned from the last possible nine for Montrose as the Gable Endies held off a resolute Clyde for a 2-1 victory in League Two.

Michael Bolochoweckyj was given a straight red card with each side missing a penalty kick in a fiesty, exhilirating contest at Links Park.

It’s two home wins out of two for Montrose against Barry Ferguson’s Bully Wee outfit.

Mark McLaughlin’s bundled effort gave the visitors the lead after Gary Fraser missed a spot kick, before trialist Jamie Clarke levelled in first half stoppage time with a stunning finish.

The second half lacked the flair of the first but it was the hosts who picked up the victory thanks to Adrian Mallagaray’s tidy finish.

Mo’s victory takes them further from the bottom of the table while Clyde lost ground on leaders Elgin City.

The hosts made three changes with Adam Harwood, Graham Webster and trialist Clarke replaceing Matty Allan, Ryan Kenneth and Terry Masson.

There was an early stoppage after Mallagaray came off worst from a clash of heads but the player was able to play on, before Scott McLaughlin saw his 20 yard volley saved easily by Jordan Millar.

McLaughlin had the best chance of the opening stages for Clyde when his bulleted header was cleared off the line by Ryan Ferguson.

Montrose should have gone ahead in the 16th minute from the penalty spot but John Gibson pulled off a good save to deny Fraser - the first of many outstanding saves on the part of Gibson that frustrated the home team’s forwards all afternoon.

Bolochoweckyj received a straight red card for the foul, a clear trip on Ross Campbell inside the box at the end of a lovely Gable Endies move involving Fraser, Campbell and Mallagaray.

McLaughlin then put the Bully Wee ahead on 23 minutes, bundling the ball over the line after the hosts made a mess of clearing a cross.

Montrose were almost level four minutes later, Campbell drawing a quality save out of Gibson after Fraser had slipped him through.

Mallagaray and Steeves then saw great efforts blocked before trialist Clarke tied the game with a superb finish - volleying into the top right of the goal.

Clyde came out for the second half on fire but couldn’t force an opening, and Montrose soon returned to dominance.

But the hosts also struggled to break the defence down and there was little in the way of clear chances.

The visitors missed a spot kick of their own when Linton blasted his effort off the post following a soft penalty decision.

Mallagaray then put the hosts in front with a simple finish from Campbell’s pass.