Unbeaten run comes to an end for Gable Endies

editorial image

Arbroath 4, Montrose 1

IT WAS NOT the best of starts for Montrose when they travelled to Gayfield on Saturday. With inadequate safety measures put in place for the derby fixture segregation, tensions were already running high.

Despite complaints by the visiting club and kick-off being delayed by 10 minutes as the home fans crowded in through the turnstiles no changes were made.

Farningham fielded the same team who were triumphant against Stranraer the previous weekend and the Gable Endies went into the game hoping to continue their recent good form which had taken them on a five-game unbeaten run.

It was not to be, however, and Montrose started not looking nearly as confident as they have done in recent games.

Within the first five minutes the Links Park men had already gone behind by one goal when Arbroath were awarded a soft penalty.

Referee Stephen Finnie ruled that Sean Crighton had pushed Steven Doris in the box. Doris took the penalty and scored, but Finnie ordered a retake for encroaching.

Choosing the same corner again Doris sent in a low drive which went in off the right-hand post.

In the ninth minute a direct free kick from Arbroath’s Paul Sheerin put the ball into open play.

Two minutes later Chris Hegarty was booked for unsporting behaviour.

Montrose should have brought the score back to an equal par in the 16th minute but Ross McCord sent the ball well over the bar from inside the box.

Just two minutes later Montrose ‘keeper Gonzalez made an excellent save from a low right-foot effort by Gavin Swankie.

In the 23rd minute a cross by Adam Strachan was cleared to safety by Jonathan Crawford.

Minutes later, with tensions running high, Ross McCord was also booked for unsporting behaviour.

Just after the half-hour mark Sheerin set up Swankie whose long-range drive was sent over the bar and the score remained 1-0.

Another Swankie attempt three minutes later was saved by Gonzalez.

In the 41st minute Daryl Nicol was booked for dissent.

Two minutes later Montrose looked like they might be about to get an equaliser, but Aaron Sinclair’s header from a McCord free-kick was saved by Arbroath ‘keeper Darren Hill.

Arbroath were quick to take control again and with Doris laying the ball to Josh Falkingham it was flicked past Gonzalez into the net.

Now two goals behind, Montrose picked up the pace and tried to pull at least a goal back before half time but Dougie Cameron’s shot went just wide of the post.

Half-time: Arbroath 2, Montrose 0.

Montrose made a half-time substitution by bringing on captain Steven McNally to replace Crawford. The visitors came out looking much brighter and more confident than they had done in the first half but were frustrated when their first chance of the half failed to get them a goal.

In the 49th minute the ball fell to Dougie Cameron in the box but his left-footed shot again went wide of the mark.

Three minutes later, Gonzalez denied Arbroath another goal by blocking a right-footed shot by Strachan.

Montrose responded with volley by Hugh Davidson but it was caught swiftly by Hill.

Arbroath made their first substitution of the game when Ross Chisholm came on for former Mo man Keith Gibson in the 59th minute.

The home side had another shot at goal a minute later, but Swankie’s effort was expertly stopped by Gonzalez. Unfortunately for Montrose the home side responded just seconds later with a goal from player/manager Sheerin bringing the score to 3-0.

In the 63rd minute Craig Wedderburn of Arbroath was booked for unsporting behaviour.

Seconds later a cross by Terry Masson was cleared by Chisholm.

Two minutes later Kevin McMullen sent a left-footed shot well over the bar for Arbroath.

In the 66th minute a corner by Cameron was cleared by Doris.

Montrose made another substitution a minute later when Connor Thompson made way for Sean Pierce. Then a minute later Davidson was replaced by Fraser Milligan.

In the 69th minute Montrose made a breakthrough. Substitute Milligan crossed from the right to Masson who scored for the visitors with a spectacular overhead volley from 12 yards bringing the score to 3-1.

In the 71st minute a shot by Swankie was cleared away by Sean Crighton.

Arbroath made another substitution three minutes later when David McGowan was brought on for scorer Doris.

Two minutes later the home side replaced Swankie with Jordyn Sheerin.

In the 84th minute Montrose picked up another yellow card with Pierce booked for unsporting behaviour.

Montrose were not about to give up anytime soon though as they kept pressing to improve their scoreline. A cross by Ross McCord was cleared by Kieran McAnespie in the 85th minute.

Cameron looked like he had another chance in the 88th minute but it was cleared away again by Chisholm.

Just a minute later Arbroath sealed their win with a last minute lob by Strachan from the centre penalty area bringing the final score to 4-1.

Montrose: Ramiro Gonzalez, Chris Hegarty, Aaron Sinclair, Sean Crighton, Jonathan Crawford (46), Dougie Cameron, Terry Masson, High Davidson (69), Ross McCord, Daryl Nicol (68), Connor Thomson. Subs: Stephen McNally (46), Sean Pierce (68), Fraser Milligan (69), Simon Murray, Sandy Wood.

Arbroath: Darren Hill, Kevin McMullen, Kieran McAnespie, Joss Falkingham, Craig Wedderburn, Alan McManus, Adam Strachan, Keith Gibson (60), Steven Doris (75), Gavin Swankie (77), Paul Sheerin. Subs: David McGowan (75), John Sheerin (77), Ross Chisholm (60), Danny Griffin, Daryl Burns.