Under-15s lose nine-goal thriller

AFTER a three-week break, Montrose Youth hosted an Ayrshire team in the Scottish Cup third round.

After five minutes the referee gave a penalty against Montrose for a questionable tackle. Goalie Glennie stood impressive and the Tass striker missed comprehensively.

In the 10th minute, Montrose were penalised again when the visiting number 10 collapsed in the penalty area. This time Glennie had to pick the ball out of the net.

Montrose levelled with a good strike from DAVIS who baffled the defence. DAVIS doubled his tally with a personal slalom which again left the defence standing.

Smith nearly scored in the 22nd minute. A shot over the bar from the visitors could have levelled the score but, at the other end, FORBES rattled the ball in to give Montrose a two-goal advantage. On the half-time whistle, with Glennie beaten, Couineaux-Rice had a good header off the goal-line.

In the second half, against the wind, Montrose began with a good save from the omnipresent Glennie. However, a minute later a weak clearance allowed Tass back on the score board.

Immediately, a rather generous free kick saw Glennie touch the ball over his head but he had to concede the goal. Levelling the score boosted the visitors’ attack and David Craig was yellow-carded as the tension became almost tangible.

In the 52nd minute, a solid low shot took Glennie by surprise and Montrose trailed again. When Morgan was illegally tackled in the box in the 62nd minute, Montrose were awarded a penalty. DAVIS converted the spot kick for his first hat-trick of the season.

Quinn saved Montrose on the line in the 69th minute, and the Gable Endies were relieved to see the ball bounce off the post a few seconds later.

The home midfield and defence’s resistance was not enough, however, against the visitors’ wind-assisted 30-yard strike which cannoned over the Montrose ‘keeper for the winner.

Though the victory went to Tass, the story might have been different if Montrose had had a full squad. With three regulars injured, only one substitute was available. The visitors used their full complement of replacements and in the last stages of the second half, this told against the heroic efforts of the Montrose team.