VIDEO: Lichties lose cup derby

Ten man Montrose shocked near neighbours Arbroath and sent them spinning out of the Scottish League Cup in a derby clash.

A Ross McCord goal 18 minutes from time booked the Gable Endies’ second round place.

Montrose players celebrate their win.

Montrose players celebrate their win.

And the home side even missed a last minute penalty

Arbroath forced a corner in the first minute. Linn’s kick from right cleared to Smith who shot over.

The Lichties survived a scare two minutes later when a back pass from Keddie was missed by Morrison and he got back to clear it off the goal line.

Smith fouled in six minutes and Cook fired in a superb free kick from 40 yards which crashed off the underside of the crossbar with McKenzie beaten.

In 14 minutes Cook was clearly pulled down on the edge of the box but the referee waved appeals away. McKenzie’s clearance was poor and Milne fired it straight back, but the ball was off target.

A McCord corner 10 minutes later was headed down by Wilson and Johnson fired ina strike which whizzed narrowly over.

A rasping free kick from Linn in 28 minutes caught McKenzie unawares but he recovered well to grab at feet of Travis.

Seven minutes later, a strike from Cook was straight down the throat of McKenzie who gathered well.

Half-tie: Arbroath 0, Montrose 0.

Three minutes after restart Masson fortunate to escape with only a yellow card for crunching challenge on Linn.

Moments later, Linn made a run down right. His cutback beat the ‘keeper but Mo defence managed to clear.

In 54 minutes, Cook made a brilliant run down the right and cu the ball back for Milne. The striker turned well and fired a low shot narrowly off target.

Montrose were then reduced to 10 men when ex Lichtie Paul Watson was given a straight red card for a foul on Chisholm. Seemed to be an extremely harsh decision.

Linn made a brilliant run down the left in 67 minutes and flighted in a cross which was just nicked off the head of Cook as he waited to pounce.

Arbroath thought they had the opener in 72 minutes when Linn made a teasing run and flicked the ball through to Milne. His shot was goalbound but a defender cleared off the line.

Ten man Montrose grabbed the lead in spectactular fashion in 77 minutes. Ross McCord pounced on a loose ball and sent a curling shot over Morrison from 25 yards.

As the Lichties tried to get back level, Yao sent in a free kick, but Bayne could get no power behind the header.

In the final minute Arbroath were awarded a penalty when Hamilton was sent spinning in the box. Linn took the kick, but McKenzie dived to his left to save.


Arbroath - Morrison, Banjo, Hamilton, Smith, Travis, Keddie, Linn, Chisholm, Milne, Bayne, Cook. Substitutes: Sibanda, Yao, Lindsay, Sheerin, Bullock.

Montrose - McKenzie, Masson, McIntosh, Wilson, Campbell, McCord, Webster, Watson, Wood, Bonar, Johnson. Substitutes - Winter, Sturrock, Crawford, Gray, Johnston.

Referee: Alan Muir.

Attendance: 903.