Vital points secured in relegation battle

Roselea took part in a pulsating League match at Glenesk Park last Wednesday, when both sides were desperate for a win to help their Premier League survival hopes.

In an end to end game which saw a sending off, one scored penalty and one missed both teams had to settle for a share of the points to keep them hanging on right to the end of the 30-game programme.

After an opening which saw Collier have two shots cleared off the line the game boiled over in 30 minutes when Arbroath FC bound striker Simon Murray saw a straight red for a terrible tackle.

After the break Violet took the lead when the dangerous number three wriggled along the by line before squeezing home from a narrow angle.

In 55 minutes Roselea were level with a Ryan Taylor penalty when Collier had been felled in the box. Violet immediately went back in front when Duell followed up a McLeod spill to shoot Violet ahead from close range.

Roselea were awarded a second penalty when Ross was brought down just inside the area but this time Taylor’s penalty hit the outside of the post. With time starting to run out sub Calum Watson headed home an Anderson cross to square on 72 minutes.

Reid had an immediate chance to put Roselea in the lead for the first time three minutes later when he had the goal at his mercy from 25 yards with the ‘keeper stranded but shot over with his snapshot.

Whyte then came close with a great header which went just wide. With Roselea looking for the vital winner there was always going to a chance and Duell almost created an opening with some good work in the closing stages.

A draw was not the end of the world however a win would have been a far better result for both teams.

Roselea: McLeod, Richardson, Whyte, Reoch, R Taylor, Rae, Anderson, Collier, Ross, Cruickshank, Reid. Subs: P. Taylor, McDowell (T), Watson, Riach & Gray.

Pumpherston 1,

Montrose Roselea 3

Roselea entered their final three League matches of the season knowing that seven points would be enough to guarantee safety from relegation.

They headed to bottom side Pumpherston on Saturday, a side who have done well to keep going this season after losing pretty much their whole side from last year when the manager left in pre-season to go to Bathgate Thistle.

They had a negative goal difference of minus 100 goals and had lost at Montrose 3-0. However as always in football nothing could be taken for granted. Stuart Richardson missed out through work, but Aaron Thomson returned to the squad.

Calum Rae was playing his last game of the season as he had reached the threshold for a two-game ban. Trialist Andrew Tringham from Johnshaven Athletic came in to the side.

Roselea were playing against a slight breeze and after a good opening couple of minutes when the forced a couple of corners they were almost caught out. In three minutes Pumpherston though they had taken the lead when Omara evaded the attentions of Reoch and smacked a well hit shot into the side-netting.

A couple of minutes later and again slack marking allowed Shave to pick the ball up on the left-hand side of the penalty area but Mcleod did well to rush out and save brilliantly at the striker’s feet.

Pumpherston were not going to make things easy for the visitors and after the referee allowed play to move on despite a blatant push on Reoch Brady shot high over the bar from an angle.

Reid had the ball in the net when he broke through on a Reoch ball with team mate Rae looking the more likely culprit for the offside decision.

Roselea took the lead in 20 minutes in an almost identical move to the disallowed goal however this time the referee was right on the spot to judge that REID was onside and he slotted home well.

In 33 minutes a Pumpherston free kick came off the Roselea wall and Collier sent Anderson away this time and in a mirror image of Reid’s chip the ball went just over the bar.

In 39 minutes Reid again lobbed the ball over the ‘keeper and his goalbound effort was somehow cleared off the line by Fairley with Collier in close attendance.

Ross McLeod had to be alert when a shot came in from the edge of the box and then Danny Ross had two great chances when he was put in on the right hand side but both low shots were saved by the ‘keeper’s feet.

With two minutes of the first half remaining Roselea worked a pre set free kick. However Cruickshank sent in a low ball which surprised Whyte who almost bundled home at the far post from a yard out.

Half-time: Pumpherston 0, Montrose Roselea 1.

Two minutes into the second half saw normal service resumed as Reid had a chance when the ball came to him 16 yards out and his lob went just over the bar.

In 53 minutes Reid flashed a Danny Ross cross across the face of the goal as the decisive second goal still eluded the visitors.

In 65 minutes Roselea finally got a second goal however it was an unconvincing finish. Anderson sent in a long throw which keeper Ronald claimed, however he dropped the ball at the feet of CRUICKSHANK and his right footed shot took an eternity to finally drop into the back of the net.

Roselea finally got the decisive third goal in the 79th minutes when the hard working Reid’s pace took him to the byeline and he cutback for ROSS to slot home from 10 yards.

Just when Roselea thought they were on easy street Pumpherston were given a lifeline with a very preventable goal. Rae hesitated in clearing the ball, waiting for McLeod to come out an gather and OMARA nipped in between them before slotting home from four yards out.

Roselea made two changes in the final 10 minutes with Riach replacing Cruickshank and Craig Taylor replacing Tringham who had an outstanding game.

Roselea: McLeod, Rae, Whyte, Reoch, R. Taylor, Ross, Collier, Anderson, Tringham, Cruickshank, Reid. Substitutes: C. Taylor, Riach, P. Taylor, Watson and Thomson.

Roselea finally secured a valuable three points which until the second and third goals went in were not guaranteed and Pumpherston always looked like they would threaten with their pace up front.

Roselea created enough chances to win three or four games and on another day could have hit double figures.

There were some great displays again with trialist Andrew Tringham being the pick of the bunch showing great strength and did the simple things easily. Pumpherston never gave up and for a club who went through so much pain earlier in the season deserve great credit for where they have got to.

The win means Roselea are now two points behind Dundee Violet with a game in hand.

They are also four points behind sixth bottom placed Kirkcaldy. With two games remaining starting with Dalkeith Thistle at home this week then the final game away to Arniston Rangers on a date not yet known, four points will secure safety. Depending on the outcome of the Dundee Violet v Glenrothes match two points may be enough.

This Saturday will be a massive match for the club against Dalkeith Thistle who also need a point to be guaranteed the third place play off spot. The match kicks off at 2.30 p.m. and Roselea would appreciate the support of the town to help them on their way to safety.