Welcome win sees Roselea joint top

On SATURDAY Roselea welcomed Blairgowrie to Broomfield Park in the McBookie.com North Division.

A win for the home side would see them go joint top although they would have played two more games than leaders Violet.

Roselea’s injured Calum Rae and Ross Colquhoun were still out. Lee Hood and Jack Rodger were also missing, farmed out to Johnshaven and Brechin Vics to get game time. The flat calm conditions in the morning were replaced by the expected strong wind that only Broomfield can muster up.

Roselea’s Webster broke down the left and his early cross found Collier who took a good touch. However Pirie did enough to make him scoop his shot high before ‘keeper O’Brien punched away.

In 12 minutes Blairgowrie’s Axworthy tried his luck from 25 yards, wind assisted, and Mcleod tipped over.

Ten minutes later good play from Roselea saw Ryan Taylor break on the left. He middled for Collier who took the ball in with his back to goal. ‘Keeper O’Brien managed to get his hand round and pushed the ball out.

Roselea had another chance when Collier and Aitken broke on to a through-ball from Urquhart. Collier prodded the ball off the ‘keeper and a defender cleared.

Axworthy capitalised on a mistake by Paul Taylor and his blistering left foot drive went just wide.

Roselea had another chance just before the half-hour mark. Aitken flicked a Webster cross goalwards with only the wind preventing the ball crossing the line before being hooked clear.

As half-time approached Blairgowrie could have been down to 10 men when Pirie, who had been booked earlier, went in heavy on Anderson. Referee Graham surprisingly awarded a free kick to the away side.

Half-time: Roselea 0, Blairgowrie 0.

Blairgowrie had a strong appeal for a penalty after Salisbury went down in the box under a strong tackle from Whyte. The referee awarded a corner.

On the hour-mark the ever-dangerous Axworthy broke on the right and sent in a ball which Reoch did well to clear for a corner.

Roselea changed things in 70 minutes with Fletcher going on for Aitken, who had worked hard all day.

Roselea took the lead in a very tight match on 77 minutes with a great goal. Kevin Webster fired a free kick into the wall but flighted a delightful ball back into the box which COLLIER headed over the advancing O’Brien and into the net.

McDonald of Blairgowrie was lucky to remain on the pitch after an off-the-ground two-footed tackle which received a yellow card. Anderson was lucky not to get booked after he followed through on Pirie, leading to a mass argument between opposing players. After things calmed down Salisbury of Blair’ received a second yellow and was sent off with five minutes to go.

Right on time Kevin Webster broke on the right and his brilliant right footed shot swerved just wide, bringing the match to an end.

Roselea were happy with the three points in an even and entertaining match in testing conditions. Craig Anderson and Sean Mustard had their best games for some time and bossed the midfield. James Collier was always a threat up top and took his tally to 15 goals for the season.

The win takes Roselea top equal with leaders Violet who had slumped to their second defeat running in a cup match. Roselea have now played two more games than Violet who still have to visit Montrose.

Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Urquhart, Anderson, Mustard, Webster, Collier, Aitken. Substitutes: Kennedy, Riach, Fletcher, Brand, Craig and Colquhoun.

By coincidence the referees at the Roselea and Montrose games were both named Kevin Graham.

Another tough game is in prospect this week with a trip to play Kirrie Thistle, kick-off 2.30pm.