Win virtually assures Roselea of league safety

With music and the world famous Status Quo grabbing the limelight there was a very important football match squeezed into the weekend.

Roselea needed four points to achieve Premier League safety, while visitors Dalkeith required a draw to secure the play-off place for the team finishing third.

There were all sorts of permutations for the last two games of the season and Roselea would need a minimum of two draws to have a chance of safety. However one win would almost guarantee survival.

Roselea entered the game without four key players. Calum Rae was suspended, Stuart Richardson and Scott Riach missed out through work and although he took a place on the bench Calum Watson was nowhere near 100 per cent fit.

Dalkeith had the better of the opening stages, forcing a couple of corners which saw one goal line clearance.

It was however the home side who took the lead in 17 minutes. Danny Ross was tripped just inside the box and the referee awarded a penalty. Michael CRUIKSHANK was given the task and he slotted the ball into the bottom corner to put Roselea ahead.

Dalkeith should have been on level terms when their sweeper blasted the ball over from close range in 24 minutes.

In 25 minutes the Dalkeith ‘keeper had a brilliant save from a left-footed Collier effort when he tipped the ball behind for a corner.

Roselea conceded a free kick in 35 minutes when Cruickshank brought the player down 25 yards out however McLeod dealt with the ball well and punched

Roselea manager Ralph Brand was dismissed by the referee in 40 minutes when he strongly agreed with a decision that saw Jo Reoch booked for a very innocuous challenge.

Half-time: Montrose Roselea 1, Dalkeith Thistle 0.

There were chances at both ends at the start of the second half. However it was Dalkeith that got the all important goal when MORRIS finished off a cross and put the visitors on level terms in 54 minutes.

Dalkeith had another chance a couple of minutes later when McLeod dropped the ball from a header however he managed to scramble the ball away for a corner.

Roselea took the lead again in 73 minutes when Danny ROSS finished well with a low shot following a scramble in the box.

In 78 minutes Dale Reid tried his luck from 30 yards when he received the ball from Ross but his shot went over the bar.

Roselea sub Watson looked to have put the homesters further ahead but he slid the ball from Reid just wide of the post.

Roselea held out for a remarkable win that should see them safe in the Premier League for another season.

This was a brilliant win for the home side and should see them safe in the Premier League.

Danny Ross was outstanding and capped a great performance with his goal.

Roselea do require one point to absolutely guarantee safety. However, anything less than a win for Dundee Violet over Glenrothes will also be enough.

Roselea travel to Arniston Rangers for their last game and it will not be easy against an in form side who reached the East of Scotland Cup final with a 4-0 win against Tayport on Saturday.

The club will be running a bus to the game which kicks off at 2.30 p.m. and supporters are welcome to travel. The bus leaves the Golf Inn at 11 a.m.