Justice done as under-14s see off United challenge

DUNDEE United under-14 were guests of Montrose Youth at Broomfield for the first round of the Rosslyn Cup - the top league cup in Angus.

In the last encounter between the two teams, in Dundee at the beginning of the season, Montrose Youth lost by one goal.

Despite dreadful weather, both teams were keen to commence battle, and battle it would be. Once again the strong wind off the sea would play an important role.

Montrose meant business right from the start. After two minutes, the home side had a first attempt at goal when Morgan Smith’s free kick was saved by the Dundee ‘keeper.

Montrose increased the pressure and from Matthew Davis’ well-struck corner RYAN MATHER flicked the ball with his heel to the top of the net, giving his side the lead in the fourth minute.

Unused to being behind, the visitors reacted badly. Their robust physical challenges were punished by the referee on two occasions.

The Dundee manager, upset by the referee’s decisions, was cautioned and asked to refrain from shouting abuse.

Montrose domination continued and Matthew Davis tested the visiting ‘keeper with another good shot in the 15th minute.

Dundee were so well contained by Montrose that ‘keeper Cameron Glennie’s first touch of the ball was saving a fairly soft shot in the 16th minute.

The visitors were passing well but the Montrose midfield was well organised and David Craig and Morgan Smith battled well to keep the tall Dundonians at bay.

Montrose had two good shots, from Liam Bailey and Morgan Smith, saved by the ‘keeper. The away team tried a similar attempt on Cameron before the referee blew for half-time.

Half-time: Montrose 1, Dundee 0.

On the resumption Dundee came back ambitious to cancel the deficit and, in the fourth minute, Cameron saved a good lob.

Pushing hard, the visitors left their back line exposed and from Yan Couineaux-Rice’s clearance over the midfield, LIAM BAILEY’S low drive left the Dundee ‘keeper motionless.

Two goals adrift, Dundee started to harden their game against a now fluent Montrose side. Matthew Davis passed the right defender on the touchline only to be fouled by the centre defender inside the box. When the referee’s penalty decision was challenged by the Dundee number six, he was shown the first yellow card of the game. JORDAN HARRISON converted the spot kick with a low shot to the right of the ‘keeper.

Cameron Glennie deflected a good shot from 25 yards in the 48th minute, following a good move by the visitors.

Following that the referee had to stop the game for the second time to ban the Dundee manager from the pitch for verbal misconduct. There was tension among the visiting players and the referee awarded a yellow card to the Dundee number three for bad language.

In the next Montrose attack, Liam Bailey was unfortunate not to score when the ball was miraculously swept away from the Dundee goal line by one of the defenders.

A minute later, United took their chance with a 30-yard shot which Cameron Glennie managed to divert over the crossbar. Montrose were not going to let the match be turned round and Liam Bailey flighted in a cross that was converted into another goal when KYLE McLEOD pivoted and semi-volleyed the ball to the back of the net in the 56th minute.

Immediate reaction came from Dundee United who scored with a sliding ball despite Cameron’s good dive.

Revitalised by this narrowing of the score difference, Dundee’s number two took his chance with an unsaveable 35-yard strike that dipped below Cameron’s crossbar.

The Dundee managers were still very vociferous on the touchline. The referee spoke to the second manager when a yellow card was given to the Dundee number 18 for diving and shouting at the referee.

In the 64th minute Matthew was unlucky to see his shot go just pass the Dundee right post.

Montrose were working very hard as a team and in the last minute Liam Bailey, who had been omnipresent on the day, left the Dundee defenders no option but to foul him in the box to stop him scoring. Another yellow card was shown to the number 16 as the last defender. Again JORDAN HARRISON beat the ‘keeper with his penalty kick. Following this the last yellow card was imposed on Dundee’s number 19 for verbal abuse.

Montrose worked well together and all departments gave a resilient example of collective play that upset their opponents .The team has secured its second Rosslyn Cup round with a convincing victory on a very combative but upset visiting team. At the end of the match the referee received more confrontational comments from the visitors’ manager which spoiled the day after a good game of football between two strong teams.

Montrose Youth: Cameron Glennie, Jamie Riach, Yan Couineaux-Rice, Dylan Pert, Kyle McLeod, Ryan Mather, Gareth Low, Morgan Smith, Dean Quinn, David Craig, Shaun Low, Matthew Davis and Liam Bailey.