Montrose Youth under-14s defeat Dee Club to reach cup semi-final

Montrose Youth 6,

Dee Club 2

AFTER demolishing Dee Club 11-0 last week on league duty in Dundee, Montrose played the same team on Sunday at home for a semi-final place in the Rosslyn Cup. On a busy weekend at the Broomfield ground the game was moved to unfamiliar pitch near the golf range.

Cold weather and wind in their faces may have caused the home team’s slow start and the Montrose passing was below its usual standard.

In five minutes the visitors took a goal advantage after a defence mix-up, when the Dee number 24 shot under Cameron Glennie.

Stung by this, the locals reacted quickly in the eighth minute, with a good cross from Ryan Mather to Morgan Smith. The latter catapulted the ball towards the net but a fine save from the ‘keeper postponed the score for a second. Lurking, Matthew DAVIS volleyed the ball home to bring back the teams to parity.

Two minutes later, another gap in the blues’ back line again let the Dee number 24 run towards Cameron and beat him with a low ball. The visitors’ two goals were a very pleasant surprise for them after last week debacle. In the 24th minute, the same Dee player got another attempt on the Montrose goal, but this time the ball went over the crossbar.

Montrose had several opportunities to respond and in the 25th minute, after a flowing passing movement Kyle McLeod’s shot was inches away from the top corner of the opponents’ goal. From the resultant corner, David Craig also missed the target by a whisker. After a short clearance, the home attack came back and SMITH’S 25 yarder was deflected off the back of the last defender into the net.

Montrose had a good spell at the end of the first half and McLeod in the 32nd minute and Morgan in the 34th both tested the ‘keeper. In the last minute of the first half, Davis shot wide from Liam Bailey’s fine cross.

Half-time: Montrose Youth 2, Dee Club 2.

The second half saw a revived Montrose team, now assisted by the wind - the 12th man on the pitch. In the 40th minute, Davis had a shot into the side-netting after a good solo drive alone down the right wing.

This was followed by a miss in front of an open goal from Liam’s long cross; then Smith came close with a ball over the bar.

In the 46th minute the Gable Endies’ prospects changed. A corner from Davis gave McLEOD an opportunist chance to loop the ball over the defence and lob the keeper.

For the first time in the game, Montrose had the lead and was not to lose it again.

The home side was now pressurising the visitors and in the 48th minute Liam Bailey’s shot on the left side of the goal came close.

Two minutes later, it was Matthew’s time to bounce the ball off the top of the cross bar from a superb cross by Kyle. The Dee Club keeper was a very glad to see that rocket over.

After some good passing BAILEY, beat the entire back line to score.

The floodgates opened when SMITH put in a cross which was diverted by the wind into the net. Montrose wrapped up the match with a penalty scored by McLEOD.

He had been tripped in the box when running past the Dee ‘keeper.

The referee blew his whistle with Montrose recording a 6-2 win.

After a difficult start and a pep talk at half-time, Montrose Youth turned the match round to qualify for the last four of the cup. The managers can be pleased with a job well done.

Montrose Youth: Cameron Glennie, Jamie Riach, Yan Couineaux-Rice, Scott Coull, Dylan Pert, Jordan Harrison, Kyle McLeod, Ryan Mather, Morgan Smith, David Craig, Shaun Low, Mathew Davis and Liam Bailey.