Successful Under-18 trip away to Fife

editorial image

Montrose Under-18s travelled to Anstruther to take on Waid last Saturday. The fixture in Montrose earlier this season resulted in a big win for the Fife side, so it was going to be a tough test.

From the kick off, the Montrose boys showed that they were determined to demonstrate their skills and commitment. Direct running with strong support brought the Montrose team into the Waid 22.

The pressure was telling and the Waid discipline was slipping. Captain Campbell spotted a gap and darted over for the first try.

Waid chased the following kick-off and consolidated their position in the Montrose half. A well-worked move spread the ball wide and the Waid full back ran an excellent line to score. This was going to be a competitive match with both sides showing strong skills.

The first half continued at a high pace with both sides scoring two more tries. Campbell and Starkey were the Montrose scorers.

In the second half, the visitors had a slight advantage with the wind on their back. They started the first half with real passion and they scored three tries from Beattie, Hill and Watson. Tinsley converted all three from wide out.

Waid did not back down and managed to get over for two more tries. With 10 minutes to go this was going to go to the wire. Montrose were just 7 points ahead.

The Montrose team made their way into the Waid half and looked to control the last few minutes of the game. At a breakdown, they gave away a penalty and Waid took the initiative. Encamped in the Montrose 22, the Fife team started a rolling maul. Somehow the Montrose forwards stole the ball and headed out of danger. When the final whistle went, Montrose had secured a 36-27 win.

Steve Oakley, coach, said: “This was a great win for the boys. They showed excellent skills and real maturity to beat a very good side. Our players’ discipline was great and their commitment was solid throughout the game. We are delighted how the young men are progressing and it bodes well for the tour to Ireland at the end of the month.”