Resurgent Mo secure victory at home to City

Jordan Allan opens the scoring for Montrose
Jordan Allan opens the scoring for Montrose

Play-off-bound Montrose kept up their recent good form when they defeated play-off chasing Elgin City at Links Park on Saturday.

It was the Gable Endies’ second win in a row, for the first time since September, and it was fully deserved.

Montrose were on top for the majority of the match and recovered well from losing a quick equaliser to go on and win the match with a cracking second-half strike from Graham Webster. The victory made it three games undefeated as the side look to keep a settled selection, as well as a winning team, together as they head towards the season-defining pyramid play-offs at the start of May, against either Brora Rangers or Edinburgh City.

It was a glorious afternoon for football when City kicked off, although there was a slight sea haar lurking over Links Park.

In six minutes, Graham Webster took the ball down outside the area and fired in an effort from 25 yards out, which was gathered by Laidlaw.

Montrose kept up the pressure on the visitors’ goal and when McCord’s shot was blocked, it spun up in the air for Jordan Allan who hooked the ball wide of the far post.

In 20 minutes, Montrose had a good opportunity when Allan was illegally held back on the point of shooting.

He took the free-kick himself and it cleared the wall but went straight into the arms of Laidlaw.

A corner kick from Moore then wasn’t cleared properly by the Montrose defence and it landed at the feet of Brian Cameron, but he only managed to blast the ball over the crossbar.

Ross Campbell and Wood then worked an opening but Allan was caught in an offside position, bringing a promising move to a disappointing end.

Montrose finally opened the scoring in 33 minutes.

Masson won a corner-kick, after a surging run up the wing.

Johnston flighted over the kick and Wood then knocked the ball down for Allan who hooked the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

Unfortunately, the lead didn’t last long as the visitors equalised three minutes later.

After some sustained pressure, Moore flighted a corner-kick into the box and Darryl McHardy got his head onto the ball and forced it over the line.

Half-time: Montrose 1-1 Elgin City

Two minutes into the second half, Steeves and Campbell linked up on the left with the latter’s cross being flicked on by Wood only to find there were no takers inside the area.

In 52 minutes, Johnston gave away a free-kick after he fouled McHardy.

Moore swung the kick over, only for McKenzie to punch the ball straight to the head of McHardy, whose effort went straight back into the arms of the Montrose keeper.

Five minutes later, there was a welcome return in Montrose colours for Leighton McIntosh after a four month absence when he came on to replace Campbell.

McIntosh went up front alongside Wood with Allan moving out to the left wing.

Montrose regained the lead in 68 minutes.

Scott Johnston showed great skill on the touchline to get in a cross and Wood managed to flick the ball back to Graham Webster who took a touch before firing a beauty into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Two minutes later, Wood won Montrose another corner-kick when he collected a pass from Webster.

Johnston’s corner bounced around the area and when it came back to the Montrose player his goal-bound effort was cleared off the line.

In the final seconds, Montrose hit the crossbar.

Johnston won the ball and Wood flicked over a good cross, only for goal-scorer Allan to smack his header off the bar from close in.

Montrose then played out time to secure what was in the end a comfortable victory over a side going for a place in the promotion play-offs.

Up next for Paul Hegarty’s resurgent side is the visit of Barry Ferguson’s Clyde outfit, and the Mo will fancy their chances against a struggling Bully Wee side.

Full-time: Montrose 2-1 Elgin City