Roselea canter to fourth straight win

Roselea entertained Arniston Rangers, the club where they snatched a last-gasp Premier League place at the end of last season, having come back from 3-0 down to escape with a 3-3 draw to survive.

Roselea were on the back of a three-game winning streak in the Premier League, whilst Arniston, after a promising start, had faltered in their last few games.

After the most miserable Friday with torrential rain, the Broomfield Park eco-system managed to filter the water away and the surface was in impeccable order for the start of the match.

In three minutes, Roselea won a free kick when Rae played a quick one-two with Watson on the edge of the box and was brought down. Ryan Taylor the took a brilliant free-kick towards the corner of the net, only for Cornet to pull off a great save.

In 12 minutes, Roselea should have taken the lead. Callaghan, under pressure from Reid, lost the ball as he ushered it out for a corner and Reid squared to Cruickshank who managed to miss from three yards out.

Arniston should also have scored in 26 minutes, when a long ball caught Reoch out and Kataleza twisted and turned, giving himself an easy chance which he then blasted past the post.

On the half hour, Calum Rae was chopped down on the corner of the 18 yard box and, despite his best efforts to stay on his feet, the referee correctly pulled back play for a free-kick.

Roselea wasted the chance when Taylor played the ball wide to Rae, who was in a worse position, and his cross was blocked.

There was a massive moment in the match in 43 minutes. Bauld of Arniston went down in the box and to most it looked like a clear-cut penalty, however, the referee showed a yellow card for a dive.

Interestingly the assistant flagged for a corner kick.

Half Time: Montrose Roselea 0, Arniston Rangers 0.

At the start of the second half, Roselea were looking the more likely side to score and some good link-up play between Watson & Rae saw Watson hit the bye-line but his cross was high and wide instead of low and cut back.

Roselea made the breakthrough that was coming on the hour mark. Cornet was keeping a high line and when Watson managed to get a challenge in, the ball broke to Reid, who looked to shoot into the empty net.

Callaghan got in a great tackle, only to see the ball break to RAE who had a lot of work to do before sliding the ball home from a full 40 yards.

This was the goal that Roselea needed to settle the nerves and they soon capitalised by making it two in 67 minutes. Collier picked up a loose Arniston pass in midfield and played a slide-rule pass to Watson into the box and REID took a great touch round the defender, before prodding home from eight yards.

Arniston had a little spell of pressure and Reoch firstly cleared a dangerous cross, before Mcleod tipped a Shaun Maloney-type shot from Arniston sub Moriarty onto the post when it looked goal-bound.

In 75 minutes, despite the earlier scares, Roselea made fully sure of the points with a crucial thid goal. Cruickshank picked up the ball wide left and sent in a dipping left-footed cross, which Calum WATSON rose majestically to flick beyond Cornet into the net.

Roselea can now focus on the upcoming Scottish Cup third Round tie v Linlithgow Rose and push the pressures of the Premier League to the back of their minds.

Linlithgow will arrive with a big travelling support but they know that they will be in for a massive test from an in-form team. Kick-off is at 1.45 p.m. and entry is £5 for adults and £2 for concessions.

Roselea are hoping that there will be a bumper crowd at Broomfield Park to urge them on to a Cup shock. Hospitality for the match is sold out.