Run of bad luck continues for Gable Endies

20110226- Montrose vs Queens Park. 'Queens Park's David Anderson tries to cut out a Hugh Davidson pass. ''"Andy Thompson Photography",'"No use without payment",'"Tel: 07795437362" ,'"" ,
20110226- Montrose vs Queens Park. 'Queens Park's David Anderson tries to cut out a Hugh Davidson pass. ''"Andy Thompson Photography",'"No use without payment",'"Tel: 07795437362" ,'"" ,

MONTROSE were struck by bad luck for the second time in the space of a week with yet another defeat at Links Park.

Although Steven Tweed’s men showed flashes of brilliance during Saturday’s league battle they once again failed to take the chances they were given and found themselves without any points.

Montrose are now third bottom of the table lying seven points behind Berwick Rangers.

The Gable Endies started strongly with Paul Tosh and Stephen McNally driving wide during a fast-paced first half.

But it was Queen’s Park who had the first chance to open the scoring. However, but a deflection off Stephen McNally from a Martin McBride corner saw the ball whack off the post before going behind.

Montrose hit back with their first chance in the 17th minute but a Ross McCord strike from 25 yards out went wide of the post.

Just minutes later a speculative boot up the pitch by Sean Crighton almost found its way into the net, but Queen’s Park ‘keeper Adam Strain did well to stop it in its tracks.

Montrose looked to have a strong case for a penalty when Meggatt appeared to trip Paul Tosh in the box but the referee waved to play on.

New ‘keeper Argentinian Ramiro Gonzalez had his first big challenge of the game just after the half-hour mark but he pulled off a tremendous save from a Daryll Meggatt header.

The Spiders immediately came close once when Douglas Cameron was forced to punt the ball clear of the box.

Just moments later the Glasgow side were not far away again when a ball from Jamie Longworth deflected off of Cameron’s head. Goalkeeper Gonzalez showed quick reflexes as he caught the ball just in the nick of time before it cleared the line.

Unfortunately the few chances that they did have failed to result in a goal.

Paul Tosh blasted a shot high over the bar from the edge of the box and a Cameron corner was held well by ‘keeper Strain.

The Gable Endies quickly gathered strength once again and responded with a shot by Hugh Davidson which was unlucky to go wide.

Montrose should have taken this as a warning and unfortunately for them it was the Hampden side who took the lead in the 36th minute when a Martin McBride corner was headed in by Daryll MEGGATT.

The Gable Endies soon started to lose momentum and their chances at goal became increasingly less frequent.

Towards the end of the first half both Crighton and Stephen McNally missed good chances and the manager will not have been happy with the performance towards the end of the first half.

Half-time: Montrose 0, Queen’s Park 1.

Montrose came back after the half-time break with even less momentum than they had shown in the first half. This was exacerbated by the Glasgow side which came out looking like they meant business.

Frustrations started to show and Montrose youngster Aaron Sinclair was shown the yellow card for a foul on Giuseppe Capuano just five minutes into the second half.

In the 56th minute goalscorer Meggatt was replaced by Paul Gallacher after limping off injured.

Montrose soon responded with a substitute of their own when Martin Boyle came on to replace Aaron Sinclair.

Queen’s Park had their first effort at goal in the second half with a diving header by David Anderson just after the hour mark.

Paul Tosh responded with another try at goal but once again he sent the ball soaring high and wide of the net.

In the 67th minute Davidson came off to make way for Nicky Smith.

Home custodian Gonzalez was tested once again just two minutes later when McBride sent a free kick from the left straight into his arms.

Longworth came close again moments later but sent the ball over the crossbar.

Montrose made their final substitution of the game when Conor Thomson came on for Paul Tosh. Soon after Queen’s Park made their second substitution when Ian Watt made way got Craig Smith.

Montrose started to perk up as they looked to get their equaliser but Gordon Pope sent the ball over the bar in the 80th minute and Ross McCord was denied his opportunity with a save by Strain.

The home side looked increasingly desperate to get their goal, but it was the visitors who once again made the most of the chances provided and the sealed the points with a Paul McGINN effort in the 87th minute.

The visitors made their final substitution of the game when Anthony Quinn came on for Jamie Longworth.

The Spiders almost made it 3-0 just before time but a powerful shot by substitute Craig Smith crashed unto the post.

Montrose had a last second gasp at goal but substitute Conor Thomson continued the theme of the game and sent the ball over the crossbar.

Montrose: Ramiro Gonzalez, Sean Crighton, Douglas Cameron, Alan Campbell, Gordon Pope, Johnathan Crawford, Stephen McNally, Hugh Davidson, Paul Tosh, Ross McCord, Aaron Sinclair. Subs: Chris Hegarty, Conor Thomson, Nicky Smith, Martin Boyle and Sandy Wood.

Queen’s Park: Adam Strain, Paul McGinn, Daryll Meggatt, Ricky Little, Andrew Millen, Giuseppe Capuano, Martin McBride, David Anderson, Ian Watt, Jamie Longworth, David Murray. Subs: Paul Gallacher, Gavin Lachlan, Anthony Quinn, Craig Smith and Peter Hamilton.

Referee: Mat Northcroft.

Attendance: 414.