Under-14s breeze into cup final

Montrose Youths Under-14s 6 Arbroath Lads Under-14s 0

MONTROSE Youth Under-14s swept Arbroath Lads aside in this Mac Brown Cup semi-final, played at a cold and wet Broomfield on Sunday.

The home side started brightly and almost took the lead in three minutes when Robertson broke clear. His shot was saved by the ‘keeper and when the ball broke he crossed to the back post but there were no takers and the chance was gone.

Montrose continued to press for the opener, and a long-range effort from Fraser flew into the ‘keeper’s arms on 14 minutes.

Moments later, Arbroath mounted their first real attack, and when the striker cut in from the left his shot clipped the outside of the post and glanced behind.

This galvanised the home side to find the opener, and in 27 minutes McCombie was brought down on the edge of the box.

SPARK stepped up and fired the ball high into the corner of the net for a welcome lead.

Two minutes later that lead was doubled. Walker won the ball and fed Jones who in turn found Bayfield. He beat a player and slid the ball to ROBERTSON, whose rising shot sped past the ‘keeper.

On 30 minutes the away side were reduced to 10 men when a late challenge on McCombie resulted in the Arbroath player being yellow-carded for the second time; the first time was for dissent. After a brief flare-up he was sent off.

Half-time: Montrose Youth 2, Arbroath Lads 0.

The second half started much as the first had finished, with Montrose attacking. Four minutes in, a deflected SPARK shot looped over the ‘keeper and the line to give the home side a comfortable lead.

With 55 minutes gone Montrose added a fourth when Talbot slid the ball to CRAIG, who drove the ball into the back of the net as the home side piled on the agony for Arbroath.

On the hour-mark a rare attack from the visitors saw the striker bear down on the Montrose ‘keeper, but Muir cleared and from the resultant corner Adam headed clear.

Montrose continued to hunt for more goals, and with 10 minutes to play were successful in adding another. Good slick passing between Greenwood, Talbot and Bradburn saw CRAIG nip in to score his second.

With four minutes left on the clock McCormack in the home goal, who had been a virtual spectator in the second half, dived full-length to tip the ball round his post to keep his goal intact.

From the resultant corner Montrose gathered the ball and ran up the pitch for Gill to feed TALBOT, who finished off the sweeping move to complete the day’s scoring.

This was a satisfying way to reach the final. After a fairly tame opening Montrose got their passing game going. When they went two-up with the opposition down to 10 men, that effectively ended the game as a contest.

Montrose squad: McCormack, McCombie, Muir, Adam, Walker, Gill, Spark, Talbot, Bayfield, Fraser, Robertson, Jones, Craig, Greenwood and Bradburn.


Men’s League

RESULTS from Montrose and District Men’s Darts on January 7 are as follows.

Lochside 7, Neptune 5; St Cyrus 3, Vaults 9; Vaders 10, Bravedarts 2; Anchor 0, Black Abbot 12; Inn-vincibles 9, Mercantile 3; UHS 3, Blackhorse 9.

180 scorers were: S. Baker (Vaults), A. Third (Vaders), H. Ward (Abbot).

High Checkout: 107 – W. Burness (Vaders).

Fastest legs: 16 darts – R. Keith (Abbot); 17 darts – A. Williams (Inn-vincibles).

Sports news


WHERE space permits, we are always happy to include contributed photographs with sports reports.

Just e-mail them to news@montrosereview.com