Woe for Mo with five in a row

Kyle McLeod battles for the ball during Saturday's game against Stirling Albion.
Kyle McLeod battles for the ball during Saturday's game against Stirling Albion.

Montrose Football Club’s poor run of form continued as they lost their fifth match in a row at the hands of Stirling Albion on Saturday.

For the first time in many years, since the days of the Masson brothers, Ally Ferrie and Ronnie Massie there were three Montrose based players in the squad in Kyle McLeod, Jordan Reoch and Montrose Academy pupil Lloyd Hester.

Montrose had their first chance of the match in the 9th minute when Graham Webster picked the ball up but he fired a low effort straight into the arms of Chris Smith.

Stirling Albion opened the scoring the following minute. Sean Dickson cut open the home defence with one pass and DARREN SMITH slipped the ball home past Millar.

Montrose had a great chance to equalise four minutes later Kyle McLeod with a great reverse pass put Gary Fraser through on goal with only keeper Smith to beat but the normally deadly striker fired wide.

The visitors had a good chance in the 23rd minute when Webster fouled ex-Gable Endie Doris, who took the free kick from 25 yards, it took a deflection off the home wall and went out for a corner kick.

On the half hour David Verlaque of Stirling Albion picked up the first booking of the afternoon when he was caught out by a quick turn by Adrian Mallagaray.

With five minutes of the half remaining Stirling Albion almost had a second when Willie Robertson saw his first shot blocked and his second cleared off the line by Matty Allan.

On the stroke of half time a great run up the left by Ryan Kenneth brought Montrose a corner kick which Stirling Albion again cleared.

Four minutes into the second half Stirling Albion grabbed their second goal after a mistake by Montrose. Webster gave away the ball in the middle of the park. One pass put DARREN SMITH away and he was able to run through and blast the ball past Millar.

Scott Johnston became the first Montrose player to be booked after a late challenge.

In the 65th minute Stirling Albion’s DARREN SMITH completed his hat trick when Millar came out of his area to clear the ball but didn’t get there in time and in the mix up the ball hit off the striker and rolled into the empty net.

Milne was fouled by McGeachie winning Montrose a free kick which Kenneth took. Mallagaray headed across goal but found no takers.

Declan Milne then showed great skill played a one two with Ferguson only to blast his shot over from a good position.

Montrose got a consolation goal in the 82nd minute. Graham Webster did the spade work down the right and cut inside into the box finding ADRIAN MALLAGARAY who cut inside his marker and curled a delightful left footed shot into the corner of the net for his second goal in two home matches.