DCSIMG

East and Old Church

The East and Old Church, Forfar.

The East and Old Church, Forfar.

The steeple of the East and Old Church has been a prominent Forfar landmark since the early 1800s.

There has been a church on the High Street site since the 13th century and the Chapel of Forfar as it was then known became the town’s main place of worship in the late 16th century after Resetenneth Priory, its parent church, fell into disrepair.

The present building, designed by John Gibson of St Cyrus at a cost of £2,000, dates from the end of the 1700s and can hold a capacity congregation of 2,000.

The famous steeple, which incorporates a belfry housing three bells, was added in 1815, although there is mention in the 1660s of the earlier building also featuring a tower.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page