DCSIMG

Interest in festival already high

MORE than 200 bands and artists keen to appear at this year’s Mo Fest have already lodged their applications, just a month after the process began.

With 80 performance slots available over the weekend and with more than a month to go before applications close, the festival’s selection committee is anticipating a difficult time whittling down the list to form the final line-up.

As many performers as possible, however, are still being encouraged to register to provide as wide a selection of music as possible for the thousands of music fans who flock to the town every year.

Committee chairman David Paton said this week that local bands will be particularly welcome and, although most already appear to be on the selection list, all are urged to apply. The selection process has also been streamlined this year with a new online system via the Mo Fest website built by webmaster Andy Adie.

He said: “It’s far more efficient, the names to on to the listings group and we all score applications that come in and choose the highest scoring ones for the 80 that we can fit in to the festival.

“We have roughly 200 so far and they are still flooding in and, as usual, across varied genres and it’s good to see such a diverse selection of music coming in. We’ve even had one entry from Texas, although we suspect they may have confused us for Montrose in California but it’s still good to see.

“Applications will be closing in mid March to give us a chance to catch up on the listings and book the bands.”

Although the organisation of this year’s festival, which will run from May 24-26, is continuing, one element which has been expanded already is the popular open air concert on the High Street. That event will run over Saturday and Sunday instead of just Saturday and the second day will bring the vibrancy of the youth festival from the town hall to the town centre.

David added: “Hopefully that will help to get more people involved with the High Street event, weather permitting.”

Two new venues, Annie’s Bar and the Hillside Hotel, have also been added to the list for this year which has also been welcomed.

No decision has yet been made on who will headline this year’s festival but the committee is expected to make an announcement in the next few weeks.

Further details can be found online at www.montrosemusicfestival.co.uk and applications can be lodged at http://www.montrosemusicfestival.co.uk/wp/?page_id=110.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news