a MEMORIAL commemorating the part RAF Montrose played in the country’s history will be unveiled later today at Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre.
The Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust (ABCT) is erecting the granite plaque to ensure the significance of the base, and the people who served there, is never forgotten.
One of Britain’s most historic and best preserved disused airfields, the air station was established in 1913 and in 1915 became a major First World War airfield for flying instruction.
Used initially by No. 2 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps, it later housed a number of other squadrons, including some bound for Canada. Familiar aircraft of the day included the Avro 504, Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a and Sopwith Camel.
Later home to 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron, Spitfires and Hurricanes from Montrose flew south in 1940 to form part of the country’s vital air defences in the Battle of Britain.
For the full story and photograph, see this week’s Review.